For those of you who dive solo . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
I'm finding myself luckier and luckier these days, in that I'm acquiring a nice circle of excellent dive buddies. In thinking about this, and thinking about WHY they're excellent dive buddies, it occurred to me to wonder -- Those of you who dive solo, would you do it if you had a dive buddy who:

Had skills equal to or better than yours;

Had equipment similar to yours and properly maintained;

Was on the same page you are with respect to the way a dive should be planned and conducted;

Had excellent buddy skills and underwater communication;

Had excellent training in emergency response, and kept those skills sharp by regular practice;

And, of course, was regularly available to dive :)
These day I almost never solo dive (just a few shore dives on vacation). I've learned to prefer buddy diving.

But solo diving isn't about your list - about the quality of the buddy.

There is something about the tranquility factor, the peace factor, the stillness and quiet of a solo dive that draws some people.

But I don't solo like I used to because it's safer and more fun to dive with buddies of all levels. Again, for me it isn't about your list at all.

Actually yes, I would still solo. If my dive "partner" had all those atributes, including the like minded attitude about diving, they would be solo as well and be set up for it. I use the word partner because they would also be a photographer and enjoy, as others have said, the solitude of being alone sometimes. During a dive we may be close to each other, maybe not but we could dive together and see a lot of the same things and be able to share our experience afterward.
A partner with those attributes would make it a very relaxing dive because you don't have to worry about them being off on their own if they like and they would not worry about you. As mjh says, you can stop and wait for that perfect shot without feeling selfish.
In my opinion, I think all divers should be able to take care of themselves. I have never had a buddy like you describe because of the places I dive. After a while of diving with new people all the time I got to the point of depending on myself and solo diving because it was not fun when I had to worry about how a new buddy might react in a certain situation or whether they would not pay any attention to me and basically do their own dive even though we were teamed up. It seemed to me that a lot of my new buddies were not usually in a position of helping anyway due to poor buddy or dive skills. Rick Inman had a great thread about how their buddy had a problem and was gone in a flash to the surface before either of the other divers could react. Certain types of training might seem to mitigate the panic factor but we don't know what will happen when someone panics. Sometimes even an arms length of distance could be too far if your buddy panics and takes off and you are looking the wrong way.
Solo diving does not always mean, in my opinion, being off totally by yourself. You can still be with a group or within sight of a group but you are depending on yourself and your own training and experience to get you out of any situation that might arise and that no one is depending on you either. If you had a problem and there was another diver near you it doesn't mean you could not go to them for help, as was posted in another thread that said you would be violating your solo rules. It is a little selfish but it is the way I choose to dive most of the time.

Even when my dive buddy is an excellent diver, I still think in terms of watching out for dangers for both him and myself. Because of this double duty, I’m not as relaxed as when I dive alone and can't enjoy the view as well.

Having said that, where do I sign up to dive with the buddy you mentioned in the opening thread?

I'd still dive solo occasionally, even if I always had trusted buddies at the ready. In practice, many of my dives are spur-of-the-moment decisions and instantly getting a buddy would be difficult.

Sometimes it's nice to just be able to wander along, ignore everything and everybody else and focus on watching some fishies or whatever catches my attention.

Just like other activities in life, sometimes I like to dive with a buddy or a group and share the experience; sometimes I prefer solitude.

A safe, shallow dive, where one has no need to track a buddy, no need to pay close attention to air or time, and can daydream away while floating along is a very different experience than a dive with a buddy.

I will love reading this thread ( glad you posted it) because we are too busy being defensive about it usually.

For me, the answer is yes. It is about options and feeling the freedom. I enjoy diving with others, but I like being able to leave if I feel like it. The zen of alone has captured me. maybe because I am such a chatty person, and cannot talk down there... Not even communicating or thinking about someone else is liberating.
We talk a lot on this board about the size of your bag on the boat, the etiquette of this and that, sometimes a girl needs a break.

Recently, I found myself in viz that had dropped quickly and alone on a stop. The boogey man tried to take my mind on a field trip and I worked through it...I felt euphoric afterwards. It was a small thing, but I would never have had that lonely "face your fear" sensation if another person was there. I was extremely uncomfortable in my own skin for a couple moments. I had to cope with myself and my irrational fear. I discovered how very much focusing on my sausage, the reel, the tasks helped me. Every time I get an opportunity to tame "monkey brain", I feel a satisfaction I cannot describe. Working together, as a team, has it's time and place, but I do not want it to eclipse those moments getting to know myself.

For me, it is almost like a drug and I know that I have to be careful. This, in my case means no deep (over 100 ft) solos and usually I stick to about one third more than what I can freedive. At 70 ft or so, I have decided against the pony for now. There are those who say I am not a solo diver because I have not been trained and do not have redundant air. Okay...then just say I go diving alone.

My "best" buddies think like me and just don't talk about it. It is an unspoken code.
The mental lessons and abilities I learn "down there" help me in my life.
Raising the stakes, almost always raises the bar, doesn't it?

TSandM:
Those of you who dive solo, would you do it if you had a dive buddy who:

Had skills equal to or better than yours;

Had equipment similar to yours and properly maintained;

Was on the same page you are with respect to the way a dive should be planned and conducted;

Had excellent buddy skills and underwater communication;

Had excellent training in emergency response, and kept those skills sharp by regular practice;

And, of course, was regularly available to dive :)

This question is put very sweetly...sweet?...but it somehow irritates me a little bit.

Solo diving is not for everyone. As many have posted, it just depends on circumstances. I have been diving since 1962. Having grown up in Miami Beach, we would dive the ship channel and the jetties all the time. It wasn’t until last year I finally broke down and joined the certification club. It became almost impossible to rent equipment away from home. I enjoy buddy and group dives but not going to miss an opportunity to dive because my buddy cancelled at the last minute. Here in North Texas, most dives are in a rock quarry. It is just like a group dive with 50 of your closes friends. Having a specific dive buddy is not that important to me in this circumstance. I feel sure I would extend a helping hand to anyone I felt was in trouble. I also feel they would also do the same. I dive with a spare air source and feel I am self dependent. All that said, I to am a terrible buddy. I get distracted buy looking at my surroundings. Things I want to see my buddy doesn’t or we are on a time schedule to see all we can instead of taking our time to enjoy.

My normal buddy has all those attributes, we jump in the water together, but both still dive solo. We are usually spear fishing, and you really need to go your own way and do your own thing to do it well.

DiverDuane

Hank49:
This question is put very sweetly...sweet?...but it somehow irritates me a little bit.
Probably because it's much like any DIR mantra?

I dive solo about 98% of the time (carry a completely reduntant 6cu pony bottle and extra cutting tools). my schedule and and frequent diving,and above all spontanious decisions (I just got up yesterday on a day off from work and decided to drive down to Key Largo and dive the Speigel.)makes it hard to find a buddy. none of my close friends dive. on a dive boat I tell the capt beforehand Im diving solo. If I dont know the diver I feel safer solo.thats exacly why I do it. for safety. I dont know how reckless or inexperience that diver on the boat is.and besides you can relax and enjoy the view ,go were you want to and head back when youre ready.

Back
Top Bottom