For those of you who dive solo . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
My buddy weighs 400 lbs, looks like a marine mammal, and scares the fish away.....:D
I didn't realize that we had dived together ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ScubaKimmie:
I do NOT believe DIR should be taken by newer divers. It's just an opinion but it's what I believe.
On what do you base that belief?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Diver Dennis:
I think the problem was that the ideal buddy you described was a DIR buddy.
Therein lies the misconception ... DIR has no lock on the buddy she described.

I have several dive buddies who have not ever gone near a DIR class who would fit it to a tee. One of them has been diving for more than 35 years, and was diving this way long before JJ ever got certified.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TSandM:
Anybody else find it amusing that somebody who hasn't even passed Fundies yet (soon!) is being identified so intensely with DIR?
Yes ... your friends find it funny as hell.

But then again ... we KNOW you ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Are you sure? Or are you just assuming? ... :wink:

This doesn't have to be a partisan discussion ... it wasn't intended to be one. Why do some of you seem so intent on making it one?

If you are so "safe" in your style of diving ... why be so defensive about it? I mean, why should you care what anyone else thinks?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
This has just gotten too silly.

Bob if you can't see an agenda as easily as I can, then why bother dicussing anything with me. Please continue to defend your buddies and their agenda, I could care less.

Just finished reading this thread...some good points and great entertainment!
Wish I would've brought some popcorn.
K

Charlie99:
If you want to do battle with obnoxious DIR wanna be's, you'll have plenty of other chances. :)
Actually, if you want to do battle with obnoxious DIR wanna be's ... you are on the wrong board.

Try rec.scuba ... or perhaps The Deco Stop. Most of the DIR folks who couldn't discuss DIR in a constructive way have long since left these premises (and no one misses them) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Too much bashing and anger in this forum... I think I will just go to a happier place where divers choose to focus on what they have in common instead of nitpicking each other.

(This is actually just a bluff. I'm wondering if a short, slightly overweight filipino dude will get asked not to leave as his fresh perspective adds value to the community. Or is that type of thing reserved for blonde females?)

Adobo:
Too much bashing and anger in this forum... I think I will just go to a happier place where divers choose to focus on what they have in common instead of nitpicking each other.

(This is actually just a bluff. I'm wondering if a short, slightly overweight filipino dude will get asked not to leave as his fresh perspective adds value to the community. Or is that type of thing reserved for blonde females.)

Barangay Pasaway perhaps :wink: :D?

Nice avatar TSandM :).

Andy, you're right about dogma. I don't like dogma. I want a reason for everything. You would hate having me in your OW class -- I drove my instructors crazy.

When it comes to whether the stages go on one side, I speak as shouldn't, because I don't dive stages. But if you and your buddies all have your tanks on the same side, it may facilitate having your buddy double-check your MOD when you do gas switches . . . or at least that's what I understand.

There are a lot of very reasonable ways to do things. DIR is just a coherent system which permits people who work within it to predict and reliably interact with others who do the same.

And since one of the cornerstones of DIR is the team concept, solo diving falls completely outside the paradigm. But I didn't sign an agreement never to solo dive when I signed up for a GUE class. I only agreed that I wouldn't drink too much, use recreational drugs, or smoke. Two out of three ain't bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom