Solved: For the classifieds section.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Ana

Ana

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This weekend I posted a few things for sale and some for free.
I received a PM asking how could they trust me. Sarcasm got the best of me on my reply, and I haven't heard from the person since.
Not the end of the world, just a reminder of the good choice I made becoming an engineer instead of getting into sales.

For the not people persons like me, could there be a classified place for posts after the transaction is done to say : Joe sold stuff to me and didn't rip me off. Or something like that.

I know we are experts in turning any thread and/or forum into crap, but maybe something like this would be helpful.

For the not people persons like me, could there be a classified place for posts after the transaction is done to say : Joe sold stuff to me and didn't rip me off. Or something like that.
Years ago on a previous implementation, we all had 'Trader Ratings'. It was an app that was very in-your-face when a 'deal was done'. Both buyer and seller were encouraged to rate the experience. I so miss this prompting. I crusaded for the return of the old ratings format. We did get something but it is a miserably poor second. Someone has to know that the feature exists and then be self-motivated enough to give you a mention. Look at your profile, Trader History (0) should show up in the bottom bar.

Maybe I'll buy something from you so we can both say nice things about each other...

Years ago on a previous implementation, we all had 'Trader Ratings'. It was an app that was very in-your-face when a 'deal was done'. Both buyer and seller were encouraged to rate the experience. I so miss this prompting. I crusaded for the return of the old ratings format. We did get something but it is a miserably poor second. Someone has to know that the feature exists and then be self-motivated enough to give you a mention. Look at your profile, Trader History (0) should show up in the bottom bar.

Maybe I'll buy something from you so we can both say nice things about each other...
I think i remember something about the Ratings.

Oh well, there's worse things in life that having a virtual person not trusting you.

@Miyaru recently reimplemented Trader history which I think can server that purpose. Unfortunately I don't know much about it.

1658111415190.png

• Thanks
Reactions: Ana
I think it’s ridiculous Ana was asked if she could be trusted. She’s been here for years and I doubt she was selling an expensive newer dive computer.

Reactions: Ana
Here is the thread that added Trader history back:

I think it’s ridiculous Ana was asked if she could be trusted.

Not everyone here knows the history of members that have been around ScubaBoard a long time, especially newer members. There are a lot of scammers on the Internet so I can't blame someone for being careful.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I think it’s ridiculous Ana was asked if she could be trusted. She’s been here for years and I doubt she was selling an expensive newer dive computer.
Not everyone here knows the history of members that have been around ScubaBoard a long time, especially newer members. There are a lot of scammers on the Internet so I can't blame someone for being careful.

It is true I'm not selling expensive stuff, but expensive/cheap can be relative terms, I guess no one wants to be cheated. I don't blame the person, as stated above, newer members may not even know how to check how long any of us have been here.

Reality is, I was very surprised by the concern of me cheating them, and felt silly trying to reassure someone via PM. Things that came to mind were on the lines of: "what would a Nigerian Prince say?" of course that doesn't help. If I have doubts about a person in a similar situation, nothing they say would give me reassurance, I'd need a 3rd party (hopefully objective) to confirm or deny.

It isn't like I'm here selling things regularly, only when the ocean conditions are too rough to go diving, and I end up trying to declutter the house.

True, but 2,323 posts is an awful lot of work to put in just to scam someone. Little common sense goes a long way. Not trusting someone with my post count makes a lot more sense than not trusting Ana, Marie, or you. Some folks are just dumb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom