? For Suunto Vytec users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey Chris

Reaction score
Hey guys, did two dives today and the first one the computer was reading about 15 feet shallower then actual. The second dive was dead on. Anyone ever experience this. It was working fine in the first dive except for the depth. The air pressure was fine. Any ideas?

I had some problem before three weeks... First dive 22min computer ok. 7min surface interval a next dive but computer shallower cca 4m... next day was a computer OK

No idea ...

A couple of the members of the dive club I am a member of have had this problem with Vytecs. They contacted Suunto who gave the following response:

Thank you for contacting Suunto.

The computer will activate manually when it comes into contact with water. A
late activation of the water contact will, however, result in the
dive-computer reading the wrong surrounding pressure as zero depth.
Therefore we recommend that you manually activate the computer just before
entering the water. This way you can assure yourself that the depth reading
displayed at surface equals zero as the computer will have enough time to
read the surrounding pressure correctly.

With Best Regards,

Suunto Helpdesk

Not altogether reassuring when the computer is meant to activate when you hit the water. My dive buddies wondered if the problem may be due to wearing the computer tight on their suits so that the water takes a while to hit the contacts. or jumping in overweighted and descending before the computer has activated???

Divevet:
Not altogether reassuring when the computer is meant to activate when you hit the water. My dive buddies wondered if the problem may be due to wearing the computer tight on their suits so that the water takes a while to hit the contacts. or jumping in overweighted and descending before the computer has activated???

I can't imagine jumping in the water and trusting that the computer is going to come
on. You turn it on before you hit the water so that you can verify that the batteries are
ok, your nitrox is set correctly, etc, etc. I don't have a phobia of my computer
failing mid-dive so once it is on and working it is probably going to stay that
way. Electronics are most likely to fail when they are first turned on. A dive
computer is more likely to fail by being smashed around in your dive bag between
trips that riding around on your wrist during a dive.

I just seems like a bad idea to not check your gauges until after you are
already in over your head. That goes for analog and digital gauges of all sort.

I always, read as 100% of the time, activate my computer before entering the water. Haven't had a single problem with it.

ZenSquirrel:
I can't imagine jumping in the water and trusting that the computer is going to come
on. You turn it on before you hit the water so that you can verify that the batteries are
ok, your nitrox is set correctly, etc, etc. I don't have a phobia of my computer
failing mid-dive so once it is on and working it is probably going to stay that
way. Electronics are most likely to fail when they are first turned on. A dive
computer is more likely to fail by being smashed around in your dive bag between
trips that riding around on your wrist during a dive.

I just seems like a bad idea to not check your gauges until after you are
already in over your head. That goes for analog and digital gauges of all sort.

I guess it should go without saying that I've always turned on my Vytec before
hitting the water and never had a problem with it.

Ok just to clarify...

Yes I am my buddies do turn our computers on and check them prior to the dive. Seems that the Vytecs go back into "sleep" mode a lot quicker than the Vypers (which I dive with and have never had a problem with). Most of our diving is off RIBs and kitting up can be abit more prolonged than on a decent sized hard boat.

Anyhow was trying to give you some constructive feedback on what the "problem" with the Vytec might be rather than start a discussion on predive protocol...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom