? for Suunto Computer Users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pay pretty close attention to my guages so I really don't. I would just classify it as nice if it was a bit louder. The max depth is really the only alarm I have set on there and it is set for 110' to let me know I am getting close to 130' if I am down that far for any reason.

cornfed:
Why do you need to hear the alarms?

cornfed:
Why do you need to hear the alarms?
Because he's not a mindless lemming following the DM... he might do something that gets him slightly distracted for some reason. :rolleyes:

Like I said, I pay pretty close attention to my guages, if it beeps for any reason; I should be paying REALLY close attention to my guages.

CelticRavenVA:
Like I said, I pay pretty close attention to my guages, if it beeps for any reason; I should be paying REALLY close attention to my guages.
I know... I was giving cornfed a hard time. His sarcasm was getting a little annoying.

KrisB:
I know... I was giving cornfed a hard time. His sarcasm was getting a little annoying.
*sigh* Would you like me to explain my point or would you rather continue being a prick?

cornfed:
*sigh* Would you like me to explain my point or would you rather continue being a prick?
Feel free. It sounded more like you were looking to be a jerk without reason, saying "I'm a super diver, and I always have my gauges/computer right in front of my face, so I never need the alarm because I always know what the readouts say."

If that's not the case, please elaborate.

KrisB:
Feel free. It sounded more like you were looking to be a jerk without reason, saying "I'm a super diver, and I always have my gauges/computer right in front of my face, so I never need the alarm because I always know what the readouts say."
Leave out the "I'm a super diver, and I always have my gauges/computer right in front of my face" and you've got it about right. Your computer shouldn't be beeping at you because it shouldn't be telling you anything you don't already know. You shouldn't be surprised when you look at your spg. You shouldn't need something to remind you you're approaching a certain depth. "Plan your dive, dive your plan" is more than just a cute little saying.

cornfed:
Leave out the "I'm a super diver, and I always have my gauges/computer right in front of my face" and you've got it about right. Your computer shouldn't be beeping at you because it shouldn't be telling you anything you don't already know. You shouldn't be surprised when you look at your spg. You shouldn't need something to remind you you're approaching a certain depth. "Plan your dive, dive your plan" is more than just a cute little saying.
Ok. Well, I suppose that's true in an ideal world... but here's the thing. Have you not ever lost track of your time while exploring something? An alarm that mentions the NDL limit might be nice. How about exceeding the safe rate of ascent? A little beep to let one know might also be nice.

Obviously, the maxdepth warning shouldn't be an issue. But those of us who don't have tons of experience might have trouble keeping at a certain depth on, say, a wall dive.

The alarms can be very useful. Especially if one isn't an uber-diver.

cornfed:
... Your computer shouldn't be beeping at you because it shouldn't be telling you anything you don't already know. You shouldn't be surprised when you look at your spg. You shouldn't need something to remind you you're approaching a certain depth. "Plan your dive, dive your plan" is more than just a cute little saying.

I think you need to get a life. Go dive somewhere where there are distractions. I find a dive more enjoyable when there are things to distract me. Or are you going to tell me that if a 15ft manta ray glides past your nose or you suddenly find yourself in the centre of a school of dolphins you're really going to stay focussed on your gauges.
I think not.
I know not. :eyebrow:

If this will be your first time with a computer bear in mind to watch your speed when going up. The computer takes it into consideration and if you rise at a certain speed for a determined amount of time it will recommend a safety (maybe even mandatory) stop at 3-5 meters. No matter how much NDL you still have... For the next dives, the computer will take into consideration that you arose too fast and it will reduce your NDL.

Another good practice is to always do a 3 minutes safety stop between 3-5 minutes. Again, you computer will allow you more NDL in the next dive...

I own a vytec and before it I would, for a very few times, have really small headaches after diving. This has never happened to me again after diving with a computer....

MIND YOUR WAY UP!!! Specially in the last meters as the pressure reduces abruptely...

Back
Top Bottom