? for Suunto Computer Users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtsidford

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Suunto Cobra computer and am excited about it. I have not dove with it yet but will soon if my mind doesn't change from your experieces. I was just informed that it is a very conservitive computer and this bothers me. I dive 2-4 times a day, usually back to back days. I also get 4 weeks off a year when I will dive at least 2-3 times a day for two straight weeks. I need a computer that will not lock out and let me do full dives. I usually dive in 30-60 ft of water for an hour+. It's not too late for me to get out of this computer purchase and opt for a more liberal computer like the Cochran Gemini. Any help would be greatly appreciated. David

I believe the Suuntos are known to be conservative. I dive both a Vyper and Vytec, and these both have adjustments to allow for them to be less conservative.

You might play around with the simulator first to see whether the computer allow the dive wime you want or not. If your Cobra doesn't support simulation, you can try one in Suunto Dive Manager, free download from Suunto website.

And from my Vyper user manual, my Vyper will never lock out unless you miss a deco stop.

mtsidford:
I recently purchased a Suunto Cobra computer and am excited about it. I have not dove with it yet but will soon if my mind doesn't change from your experieces. I was just informed that it is a very conservitive computer and this bothers me. I dive 2-4 times a day, usually back to back days. I also get 4 weeks off a year when I will dive at least 2-3 times a day for two straight weeks. I need a computer that will not lock out and let me do full dives. I usually dive in 30-60 ft of water for an hour+. It's not too late for me to get out of this computer purchase and opt for a more liberal computer like the Cochran Gemini. Any help would be greatly appreciated. David

I dive a Suunto Vytec and yes, it is very conservative. Some of my dive partners use Cochrans and they are way more aggresive. Someday I compare my NDL to theirs while we are at depth. I will have 0 min left and they will have as much as 12-13 min remaining ot NDL.

Here is the deal, In the last month. Two of my partners diving Cochrans both got bent (different dives on different days). I dove the same profile as them and I am fine. They are not.

So some days I wish I can stay down just a little longer but then I think about the fact that I am not bent.

I definately notice a reduction of NDL as I dive repeatedly over a number of day. Suunto software takes the previouse 4 days of diving in to consideration. In order for me to get a good clean start to a dive day, I will need to "wash" my computer out by not diving for 2-3 days before.

Hope this helps.
Henry

Yes the Cobra is conservative, which is why I own it. Now the second question, which do you really want, a computer that will allow you to dive very often, and build nitrogen loads and be closer to the edge of the envelope and perhaps get bent (as in paralyzed for life, or dead, or just hurting for a while), or a computer that computes what you have done and says, enough?

No computer can guarantee you will not get bent. Some play it closer to the edge than others. If you want to push the envelope, the Cobra is not the computer. If you want a good computer that will do its best to give you a good day or even several days, of safe diving, IMHO the Cobra is it. In several days of repetative diving the Cobra will consider your deep tissue loads and your surface intervals. If you have had good surface intervals between dives, ok, if you had sort SI and are pushing the envelope, the Cobra will ask you to slow down or take a break. But it is for your safety. The anticipated dive profile you speak of should not be a real problem for the Cobra with the correct SI, but run the dive simulator program and check it to be sure.

I bought my Cobra after an "undeserved" hit diving Oceanic which is more liberal. DAN recommends if your doing several days of heavy diving, like say 5-7 on a live aboard, taking a day off in the middle. Seems the 5-7 days straight of diving 3-4 times a day has a slightly higher rate of DCI.

Bottom line, a hit could mean a lifetime in a wheelchair, or worse. Wtih those stakes in mind, is a conservative computer really a bad thing?

Just my $0.02.

I agree with Pasley, being conservative is safety consciousness. I bought a Cobra recently. PADI OWD course mentions not to ascend more than 60 ft/sec, but the Cobra's speed is 30 ft/sec. I am still trying to comply with the lower speed. My new Cobra's alarm didn't work when it should beep when I stayed out of the ceiling zone during a safety stop although the STOP sign blinked (found this out after I surfaced.) I depended on the alarm rather than visually and so I did not correct my position in time. As a consequence it went into Error Mode and locked itself. I could only use it as a bottom gauge for 24 hours. The personal adjustments in the Cobra are to make it even more conservative rather than less.

Yeoh Chee Weng:
My new Cobra's alarm didn't work when it should beep when I stayed out of the ceiling zone during a safety stop although the STOP sign blinked (found this out after I surfaced.) I depended on the alarm rather than visually and so I did not correct my position in time. As a consequence it went into Error Mode and locked itself. I could only use it as a bottom gauge for 24 hours. The personal adjustments in the Cobra are to make it even more conservative rather than less.

I am sorry, but I think you misintepreted what happened with your computer. I have both a Vyper and a Mosquito, and they use the same algorithm as the Cobra. The computer will ask you to do a safety stop. It will show a STOP sign, but no ceiling. If you miss your safety stop, it will not sound an alarm, but it will NOT go into Error mode either. If you were doing a MANDATORY deco stop (with a clearly indicated ceiling), and blew it, then it WILL sound an alarm AND it will lock out for 24 hrs. So I guess that you were outside NDL and the Cobra was indicating a mandatory deco stop. The alarm can be difficult to hear...

I use the Cobra and the Viper for my recreational diving and my buddy uses her Mosquito. We just came back from a 21 dive trip to Sipidan (with a bigger depth variance that you indicate).

I also agree with some of the posted comments that after 5-6 days you will want to give your body a rest. At the depths you are diving 10-20 meters for 2-4 dives per day, you are not going to stress your system all that much and for any multi-day diving schedule conservative is the way to do it anyway.

Also remember that in any repetative diving situation not to push your dives to within a minute of the NDLs on every dive, try to ensure you have a few minutes buffer each time. Your body (and your DAN insurance) will thank you.

mtsidford:

Get the other computer and use the money saved and it put towards some insurance, you might need it.

I have a suunto Stinger, and have just come back form a 7 day live aboard diving 4-5 dives a day in the 30 -100 foot range

I had a Beuchat Maestro Pro, built by Cochrane, which was very aggressive and when I realised how many people I was meeting that had been bent following its recommendations, I quickly used the interface to put it on its most conservative setting.
Nowadays I use a Vyper, yes definitely more conservative and safer, but nothing that causes inconvenience. The one or two times it diverged from the expected, the post dive analysis showed that the dive had diverged from the plan and it did its job.

Back
Top Bottom