For divers contemplating using a long hose configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This video is cross posted in the technical diving section. But since the subject is also applicable to recreational divers thinking about going to a long hose configuration, I am also posting it here. If you find this video helpful, please subscribe. The channel has 70+ videos related to diving.

Open water, why are you looking at a "long hose"? A long hose was decided as an appropriate method for sharing air in a confined space, like a cave. I have no scenario in mind that would come into play that a recreational diver would need a long hose.

I have no scenario in mind that would come into play that a recreational diver would need a long hose.
Some of us prefer the same configuration when diving single and doubles. I also prefer the streamlined hose routing. Just for the record, who may I ask trained you?

Open water, why are you looking at a "long hose"? A long hose was decided as an appropriate method for sharing air in a confined space, like a cave. I have no scenario in mind that would come into play that a recreational diver would need a long hose.

Long hose doesn’t necessarily mean 7’. OP probably would have been more precise saying “primary donate” instead of “long hose”, but there are certainly benefits to diving with a 5’-7’ primary as an OW rec diver.

Long hose doesn’t necessarily mean 7’. OP probably would have been more precise saying “primary donate” instead of “long hose”, but there are certainly benefits to diving with a 5’-7’ primary as an OW rec diver.
I am all about primary donate even in OW recreational config. I dive the streamline setup of a 40" to my primary in my mouth and a short 22" necklaced backup. So as far as that goes, you are right on. But, a 7' "long hose" in OW is unnecessary.

Some of us prefer the same configuration when diving single and doubles. I also prefer the streamlined hose routing. Just for the record, who may I ask trained you?
This literally has nothing to do with singles or doubles. What do you even mean by "who trained you?" Someone needs to work on your algorithm.

Let's not turn this thread into the dog pile that became of previous threads commenting on Divezonescuba. It is no secret what some of you who have already posted here think about the OP and his videos...if you don't care for his content then make your own videos or just move on...this is not the forum to bash another board member even in a veiled manner.

-Z

I only do OC, no-deco, no-penetration dives, and I prefer a longhose. I have tried secondary donate, 40" primary donate, and 7' primary donate. Have been using a 7' for a few years, since it is better than the 40" in an air sharing situation, and more streamlined in all situations. You might give it a shot if you haven't yet, @Doby45.

I only do OC, no-deco, no-penetration dives, and I prefer a longhose. I have tried secondary donate, 40" primary donate, and 7' primary donate. Have been using a 7' for a few years, since it is better than the 40" in an air sharing situation, and more streamlined in all situations. You might give it a shot if you haven't yet, @Doby45.
Um, yeah no.

If we are in open water/recreational diving and I need to share air with you to get you to the surface, I am also controlling you. You are not getting 7' of hose to do that. You will get my 40" primary and you will like it. This will be briefed with you prior to the dive. If you don't like it pick another partner. Nugget of knowledge for the masses, 7' hose does not make you "tech".

Um, yeah no.

If we are in open water/recreational diving and I need to share air with you to get you to the surface, I am also controlling you. You are not getting 7' of hose to do that. You will get my 40" primary and you will like it. This will be briefed with you prior to the dive. If you don't like it pick another partner. Nugget of knowledge for the masses, 7' hose does not make you "tech".

I imagine since you are flared as a DM and Instructor, that you are dealing with some pretty inexperienced divers that 1) aren’t properly planning and managing gas consumption, and 2) didn’t get enough training during OW to be comfortable doing an S-Drill.

I would ask is that the fault of the diver or their instructor or the agency?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom