For divers contemplating using a long hose configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

didn’t get enough training during OW to be comfortable doing an S-Drill.
Inform me as to which agency you are dealing with that is teaching S-Drills in OW? I will wait. I don't know of a single agency that teaches long hose air share in OW class.

I imagine since you are flared as a DM and Instructor,
That is due to a glitch during the last major upgrade, and we've been amending this when contacted by the members.

@Doby45 can you let me know what your status is with regards to Instructor / Divemaster and I will sort it out.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

REMINDER for EVERYONE:

This is the Basic Scuba area and has specific conditions for posting comments.

That is due to a glitch during the last major upgrade, and we've been amending this when contacted by the members.

@Doby45 can you let me know what your status is with regards to Instructor / Divemaster and I will sort it out.

REMINDER for everyone:

This is the Basic Scuba area and has specific conditions.
Do you want my certification number? I will DM it to you.

Inform me as to which agency you are dealing with that is teaching S-Drills in OW? I will wait. I don't know of a single agency that teaches long hose air share in OW class.
The bcd they gave me in OW had an Air2 on it, so basically the same thing

Perhaps that is the root problem?

As an aside, I know GUE and a few more rigorous (mainly European) dive agencies do teach S-Drill beginning in their recreational level 1.

EDIT: in any event, you came into a thread about a video for how to make a necklace for your secondary and used it as an opportunity to complain about long hose rec divers. There are divers who have been trained on it, and there are divers who have adopted it after training because it works best for them. I fail to see why you started complaining in this thread about how to make a necklace when you yourself actually use one - with a primary hose longer than standard, nonetheless.

Open water, why are you looking at a "long hose"? A long hose was decided as an appropriate method for sharing air in a confined space, like a cave. I have no scenario in mind that would come into play that a recreational diver would need a long hose.
I though it was extremely comfortable when I did a share air exercise. It was rather relaxing and made swimming through the channel very easy. It wouldn't have mattered too much if we were popping up to be picked up or get on the boat but we were swimming back to shore through a channel and it was incredibly convenient swimming together and not banging into each other constantly. It's probably a fairly specific case but it does exist. I liked it so much I'm considering going double long in sidemount.

Nugget of knowledge for the masses, 7' hose does not make you "tech".
I think that's exactly the point. I happen to use a 5' hose on rec dives just because I'm relatively small and I don't need to tuck it. A 7' hose would work just as well, though, and I would certainly use it in lieu of a shorter hose.

Why can't we just delete posts made in error?

Open water, why are you looking at a "long hose"? A long hose was decided as an appropriate method for sharing air in a confined space, like a cave. I have no scenario in mind that would come into play that a recreational diver would need a long hose.
My wife and I use long hose configuration. If something happened, once we got the situation under control I’d want a few feet between us as we ascend/ swim back to the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom