For beginners - Point and shoot flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sthe strobe has no limitation anly your camera, check your camera manual as it should give you its sync speed

No heading out the door on my way to Tokyo to catch a flight to Guam, Tomorrow I will be back in gin clear bath water

Hello Chris,

This is from a fellow member of the u/w photo forum, although I do not post there very often any more due to the past fussing between some of the useres. These days, I generally contact people who have questions directly and avoid the public posts.

I admire you for taking the time to help others here. I was a bit surprised to find your name on the site. A colleague directed me to ScubaBoard.com as potential source to find a model for an upcoming assignment to PNG. The initial responses were, how should I put this, on the testy, maybe even slightly paranoid side of things. Oh well, it did not hurt to give it try.

As I know you are using an S2 as well, you might be interested to know that I am working with FujiFilm on some strange banding that has appeared in certain shots. Fuji is not sure if it is something inherent in all of the S2's or simply an isolated case. They just sent another body for me to try during my next shoot.

I hope all is well.

Best wishes,

Scott

To Chris and All,

My previous reply was a personal message to Chris. I apologize for the public post. It is late my time and I am new to the site. At least, those are the only two decent excuses I can think of at the moment. :wink:

Thank you for your patience.

Scott

Scott....Mistake or not, I'm glad to see you posting on the board. Sorry your previous experience wasn't what you wished, although I can't remember any "past fussing between some of the useres." here in the photo forums. I've found the photographers to be polite and helpful.

I hope you'll return and enjoy our little community here.

I think Scott was referring to the UW photo email list and not Scubaboard. I too seldom post to the list as the subject matter is usually off topic, and there have been several questionable posts in the past

Chris

Hello Dee,

Chris was correct in clarifying that I meant an U/W photo email forum and not Scubaboard. Thank you for the welcome.

Scott

Chris Bangs:
For those of you just getting started I will try to post some basic tips on underwater photography.

First lesson/Tip

Using the internal Flash on a compact camera ( Digital or film )

I will break it down based on my own decesion process when I do any dive. in a nutshell, suspended particles are your worst eneny and how should you deal with them in order to create a nice clear image!

Suspended particles produce what UW photographers call "backscatter", you have seen it! Those large bright blotches that appear in many photos shot with small cameras with internal flashes. In essence what is happening is the light from the flash bounces off the suspended particle and is reflected directly into the lens. The closer the flash is to the lens the more difficult it is to avoid getting this nasty backscatter in the image.

Your mission! Try to reduce the effect it has on your photos.

I will try my best to help.

Basics

The general rule of thumb is to shoot upward as the lighter background will reduce the effect of the backscatter. if the water is a bit dirty a dark background, be it water or reef will highlight the backscatter.

In bad conditions consider shooting macro if your camera or attachments support it, otherwise, do not use the flash and just try to shoot shallow with the sun behind you. Later you can correct the color in photoshop. there is a great "action" plug ( mandrake UW action )in that makes this a snap.

Good vis but some large particles still present, The flash can be used but any particles between you and your subject will produce large lighter bloches on the image. This is a game of chance hoping that most will end up in the dead space in the shot and not on the subject. again in such conditions try shoot so that the background is quite bright.

If the vis is so bad you have trouble seeing your buddy or even reading your guage, forget the camera and just have a good dive!

I appoligise if this is poorly written, I am just a photographer and not a "photojourlnist" Now you know why!

anyway, ask questions and I will try my best to help out.

Also, any suggestions as to what I should discuss next?

Chris
would using 800 speed film in a 35 mm with no flash help with back scatter!

Back
Top Bottom