for all the cold water drysuit divers out there!! how much weight do u carry??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it very interesting, how many people are in the 30 lb range here. When I took Fundies, my instructor was talking about how many people dive overweighted, and he said, "I've seen women your size wearing TWENTY-EIGHT pounds of lead!" He appeared to think that was excessive, but it looks as though weights in the high 20's or low 30's are not uncommon in cold water.

In some cases, smallish women wear more than biggish men ... because they lack bioprene and therefore use more undergarment. Cheng uses more weight than I do ... and she's roughly half my size ... but her undergarment could easily be worn snowmobiling ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In some cases, smallish women wear more than biggish men ... because they lack bioprene and therefore use more undergarment. Cheng uses more weight than I do ... and she's roughly half my size ... but her undergarment could easily be worn snowmobiling ...
bioprene, as undergarment, has a low density :cool2:

i know the word "bioprene" since some years

Crushed neoprene drysuit with built in heavy duty boots. hh polypropaline (sp) base layer and 1 or 2 layer fleece one piece undergarment depending on water temp.
Ranger bcd ( apparantly +4-5 lbs according to Tobin at dss) Looking into getting his bp/w rig
steel 130 (-11)
40 al pony (~ neutral)
26 lbs total weight. Have been down to 22lbs but got a bit chilled near the end of dives with not much air in the suit.

I wear

10lbs belt
12lbs Hammerhead BP

That is fresh.

I dove CA salt and was using 30lbs but also wearing Long UW Tops along with my T100 undergarment. I don't always use a BP/W when I travel, but my weighting is generally good.

5'8" 170lbs

Last edited:
5'10" 165#'s. Whites Fusion drysuit, DUI 400g undies and around a 150 gram fleece as a base layer. I pretty much always dive doubles regs, and use a can light. Single Worthington HP130 I have a 4lb back plate with extra lead weighing around 11 pounds or so, and use a 20lb weight belt. For doubles I have an AL back plate and no additional weight, and still use a 20lb weight belt.

My 103# g/f diving a trilam suit, DUI 400g undies and around a 150g fleece, with an HP80 and stainless back plate uses 26 pounds of weight. She requires that much and trust me we have tried to get it a little lower, but she can't vent anymore air out, and starts corking.
I find it very interesting, how many people are in the 30 lb range here. When I took Fundies, my instructor was talking about how many people dive overweighted, and he said, "I've seen women your size wearing TWENTY-EIGHT pounds of lead!" He appeared to think that was excessive, but it looks as though weights in the high 20's or low 30's are not uncommon in cold water.
My Fundies instructors kept pulling weight off of me, saying look you sink quickly and have no problem descending. Well it turned out I also had no trouble ascending and corked a couple times in training to the point where I didn't get my Tech Pass. Threw some weight back on after class and haven't corked since. I figure the reason is we were hanging out at the surface and my lower body was pretty much vacated of air over time. Yet in trim I just couldn't vent anymore air out no matter how hard I tried. Even my wing would be empty and it was an uncomfortable feeling.

I use 31 lbs in fresh water diving a Whites Fusion with MK2 underwear and poly next to skin underwear diving an AL 80 and recently used 27 lbs same config but with steel Faber HP 100cft. I could probably shed one pound from the latter.

When diving doubles (2 X Faber HP 117 cft), beside my SSBP/Wg set-up, I carry no additional weight

I am 5'8'' and my fighting weight is 175lbs or so

I am 5' 5" weight 134, with my thick undergarmets, Trilam Dry Suit, HP 80 I use 22 on weight belt, and 2Lbs in each trim pocket.... With my 7MM wet suit I use 14 diving negitive.

7kg - Membrane suit, s/s backplate, twin 12s

8kg - membrane suit, ali backplate, single 12

Why do you want to know?

I dive with a shell suit with hommade undergarments, twin AL80s, AL30 or 40 stage, and a SS plate.

Plate - 5 lbs
Hip weight - 16 lbs
Ankle weight - 2 lbs

Back
Top Bottom