Foot wiggles in fin pocket while Frog kicking with OMS Splitstream fins and DUI turbo soles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dima_ras

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My frog kick is good and efficient when I wear neoprene booties with wet suite and OMS slipstream fins. However when I dive with my DUI drysuite with turbo soles, my feet rotate inside the bootie during frog kick, so the kick is inefficient. I tried putting on an extra pair of undergarment socks to have feet tight in splitstreams pockets, but that made little difference. Did anyone experience similar issue? I am wondering where is the problem and what should I change: my frog kick technique, fins, or remove turbo soles and switch to rock boots.

Turbo soles really suck, especially when walking over anything but sand.
Rockboots work well - as long as you can live with cold feet and punctures in the DUI socks caused by pine needles where you gear up.

You will be best served by having your Dry Until Immersed suit modified by replacing the Turbo Soles with neoprene boots, It'll be the best $100 you ever spend for your DUI.

Michael

This is the single best titled thread ever in the history of ScubaBoard if not all the nets.

Just sayin.

As to the OP, just bulk up your tootsies.

I couldn't stand the turbo soles on my CF200. Didn't have a lot of cash at the time, so I just heated them with a hair drier and pealed them off. Then slapped a pair of size 12 Chucks on over the sock and called it good.

My frog kick is good and efficient when I wear neoprene booties with wet suite and OMS slipstream fins. However when I dive with my DUI drysuite with turbo soles, my feet rotate inside the bootie during frog kick, so the kick is inefficient. I tried putting on an extra pair of undergarment socks to have feet tight in splitstreams pockets, but that made little difference. Did anyone experience similar issue? I am wondering where is the problem and what should I change: my frog kick technique, fins, or remove turbo soles and switch to rock boots.

That really leaves me wondering if your fins are simply too large. I thought my first set of fins were the right size for me for a long time. But, they did have a little gap on each side of my foot that would allow some side to side twisting in some circumstances. I finally got a size smaller of the same fin and they were perfect.

Now, I regularly use 3 different sets of fins, in 2 different size, from 2 different brands. What I use depends on whether I'm diving wet or dry and back mount single tank, doubles, side mount, or CCR. I use something like 4 different pairs of booties, of at least 3 different brands and 3 different sizes. And in all cases, the fins fit on my feet where they are snug side to side, so there is no real chance of side to side twisting.

My impression is that some people evaluate the size of their fins based on length (of the foot and foot pocket). I certainly did that when I started diving. I have since decided that the better way to judge fin size is the width of the foot pocket, not the length. If the width/height of the foot pocket is nice and snug when you slide it on your foot and up to where you want it to sit, then the length is likely to be just fine. If not, then that particular brand just might not have a foot pocket that is right for you and you might need to look for a different brand with a different foot pocket shape.

Also, I agree with the posts regarding using socks on a drysuit rather than attached boots. I'm not saying you need to change your drysuit. But, if you do decide to change it, I would at least give some serious consideration to using a compressed neoprene sock, instead of a boot. I've had 2 drysuits with boots and 2 with socks. I like the socks way better. I also REALLY like the NRS Paddle Wetshoes booties to wear over the drysuit socks. They have them at REI for $55 and probably other kayaking places, too.

dima ras,

What size Slipstreams do you have? I have XL and wear size 11 Chuck Taylors with them. I have a size 9 foot and can wear 1 or 2 pairs of smartwool socks inside my drysuit's neoprene socks. I liked the idea of peeling the turbo sole off if that leaves just a sock.

boat

I had the same problem with the turbo soles. Even walking in them my foot would slip around. I sent my suit to dris and had the USIA hard sole boots put on my suit. Foot doesn't slip anymore.
Thank you! Did you send your suite to DRIS or USIA? I would be surprised if DUI puts USIA boots...

Thanks everyone for your recommendations!

I will take your advices and replace turbo soles with neoprene socks. I see most of the divers on my boat dive with either snickers (or chuck taylors) or wet neoprene boots on top of drysuite socks. I will try that, though most likely I will have to upgrade my fins as well since slipstream XL pocket will be too small.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom