Foolishness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once knew a guy that didn't know what CESA stands for....

BTW, What does CESA stand for? :)

ScubaFreak:
I would have had serious words thith the staff instructor. The IE is too important to have extra challenges on top of what you have to do already, especially on a section that they don't allow you to repeat.

I wonder if the CD knew about it? Did you pass?

SF

Remember, this was just a practice run. Yes, the CD knew; he was conducting the session. He was unimpressed. In fact, he was pretty much frothing at the mouth.

At that IDC, I became overly stressed (for that as well as other reasons) and decided to put off actually participating in the IE. On top of everything else, the temperature was 10F and I inadvertantly froze my crushed neoprene drysuit solid. It was a bad day all around.

Michael: 'CESA' is 'controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent', which you will remember, if you're PADI cert'd.

I did not witness this, but I a few years ago I read a news item about a fellow who strapped heavy weights to his feet (brake drums?) and tried to walk across the bottom of a lake while breathing through a length of garden hose from the surface.

Needless to say, he didn't get very far.

derwoodwithasherwood:
I did not witness this, but I a few years ago I read a news item about a fellow who strapped heavy weights to his feet (brake drums?) and tried to walk across the bottom of a lake while breathing through a length of garden hose from the surface.

Needless to say, he didn't get very far.

At the tendder age of 8, I tied one end of a garden hose to a tree and jumped into the neighbor's swimming pool with the other end.

That was the day I learned about 'ambient pressure'.

Guess I was always a latent diver...

An u/w photographer whose fins were smashing elkhorn coral to pieces as he manuevered to get a shot of a green moray. Happened on French Reef off Largo last March. Only time I ever wanted to use my knife was to cut his air hose.

Couple of incidents I can think of. One was an experienced diver (he had way more bottom time that I did) was along on a liveaboard trip at Little Cayman. He was so wrapped up in getting his new video camera and battery rigged that he was a half second from hitting the water without his scuba gear before the DM on the boat stopped him.

Another one was when I was working as a DM, assisting at a OW cert class at the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa New Mexico. In 62 degree water with all students in 1/4" wetsuits. We had one student who was somewhat rotund... in fact he had no hips at all. With the platform suspended at 20 feet, there was enough compression in his wetsuit that he was having trouble with his weight belt. Just as I was heading over to help him out, the belt slipped off and headed to the bottom at 82 feet. Needless to say, when that happened he became rather bouyant. Luckily he had a good grip on the edge of the platform, and hung there upside down looking like a balloon in the Macy's Parade. I had a good laugh, right up until I had to go down and retrieve his 35 pound belt. It was more than my BC would lift fully inflated, so I had to hang it over my shoulder and go hand over hand all the way back to the platform 60 feet above me. I did learn from that one, and it never happened again to any student I had charge of.

I can't get that stupid 'Captain Missile' phrase out of my head. Your student could have done an inverted Captain Missile for extra points.

With their weight belts removed rotund divers loose all of their underwater super-hero powers.

:laughing: when i said that to some diver buddies they had a good laugh and it stuck with them too. Would anyone enjoy a rendering of "Captian Missile" tournement rules?

I saw a diver in Roatan come up with a mask full of blood several dives in a row. After the first time, I overheard him tell another diver, "It's okay, that happens every time I dive."

I know a couple of people that have that happen. They get nosebleeds. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing to dive with. Bummer for your buddy if you forget to tell them, though! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom