Fooling Mother Nature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
For what seems like years the ocean has been calm during the week with large surf arriving by Friday afternoon, just in time to ruin our weekend diving plans. Merry and I tricked Mother Nature by sneaking in two dives today.

A flat sea with no wind greeted us as we anchored next to Kevin's Reef. Our anchor rode was nearly vertical our entire time here. Although visibility was not much more than fifteen feet we thoroughly enjoyed our day.

As I reached the reef I found yet another Peltodoris mullineri. We rarely find them elsewhere but I've found four or five in the short time we've been diving Kevin's Reef.

Kevins%20Reef%205_zpsh1vdg3ad.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%206_zpsf4bfdtlt.jpg

Peltodoris mullineri

Kevins%20Reef%207_zpshehtopwx.jpg

Dendrodoris nigromaculata

Kevins%20Reef%204_zpswpb2q96u.jpg

Polycera tricolor

Kevins%20Reef%202_zpsv81orq7w.jpg

Hermissenda opalescens

Kevins%20Reef%203_zpsqnngg7we.jpg

Corynactis californica

Kevins%20Reef%201_zpsd3xzhfri.jpg

Juvenile Treefish, Sebastes serriceps

We decided to visit the White Point outfall pipe in San Pedro for our next dive. We found a field of squid eggs here before and hoped for a repeat performance. We found zero. We did find several animals we haven't seen around the Palos Verdes Peninsula for a long time. Everywhere we turned we found old friends, from Tritonia festiva to Doriopsilla spaldingi and Cuthona divae. I mentioned to Merry a few months ago that I couldn't remember the last one I found. There were two next to our anchor.

Visibility was a murky fifteen feet with 54° at each site. We had a smooth ride back to Redondo Beach. Maybe things have changed and it will stay calm through Sunday. It could happen.

White%20Point%20Pipe%2014_zpszc1weope.jpg

White%20Point%20Pipe%2012_zpspzzcsv8p.jpg

Cuthona divae

White%20Point%20Pipe%2010_zpssrvrkxps.jpg

Doriopsilla spaldingi

White%20Point%20Pipe%202_zpsrlyp003m.jpg

Tritonia festiva

White%20Point%20Pipe%203_zpspvg5zcql.jpg

Acanthodoris lutea

White%20Point%20Pipe%206_zps4hzxqmlm.jpg

Acanthodoris hudsoni

White%20Point%20Pipe%201_zpsbcdr6bqs.jpg