Food on the Taka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chantana

Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering what they feed you on the Taka, because I'm on a special diet. I'm not going to burden the cook with trying to make something special, I can just eat around what's there or bring my own food, but if they have a large selection I should be quite comfy. I went on one boat where the staple was bread and butter, and with an allergy to yeast among other things, it made for an uncomfortable trip.

chantana:
Hi! Just wondering what they feed you on the Taka, because I'm on a special diet. I'm not going to burden the cook with trying to make something special, I can just eat around what's there or bring my own food, but if they have a large selection I should be quite comfy. I went on one boat where the staple was bread and butter, and with an allergy to yeast among other things, it made for an uncomfortable trip.
The food was good, but not crazy good. I am a big guy and will eat most everything. Pizza was really good. The breakfast was eggs and toast, bacon. There was a fish dinner I believe. the food was plentiful and good. Great choc cake. They had coofee, tea and milk avail after each dive. very friendly crew. i had a great time and got to do Osprey and Cod Hole. Pixies pinnacle is the best dive. i would highly recomend the 4 day. The last dives on the way to Cairns are shwag after the further out dives. Water color noticably darker. Taka was great. I got half price fare. If you can go and gamble that space is available. there are always discounts. If there for only a week you might have to pay full. Your gonna love it. Kevin

I am headed to the Taka II in Sept.
I was thinking of emailing them to see if that is a busy season for them. I would love to pay half price, but am afraid there won't be any room available. Where do you go to get that half price ticket?
Back to the food thing...do they have salad, sandwhiches, cereal/bagels, ice cream? just some of my favorite foods :)
Thanks!!

I also thought the food was pretty good - buffet breakfasts and lunches with a fair amount of choice, and big cooked dinners, and endless snacks if you wanted them. If you have specific dietary requirements I would let them know, as there is nowhere to get fresh supplies after you are out there....

In terms of getting a spot, it depends on your time frame and risk tolerance! Basically we were there at Easter, and had pre-booked on Taka II, which was full for that trip, but there were plenty of places on other boats and other trips, and on the Taka II for all trips except the one we were on (over Easter weekend). You cannot pre book the cheap tickets though - have to turn up in Cairns and go to the dive shops/travel agents, of which there are hundreds. So if you have a bit of flexibility, and can wait a day or two to get on a boat, I would not book till you are there, as it is extremely unlikely you will not be able to get on a boat going out to Cod Hole/ Osprey Reef if that is what you are after.

kdpdrake1:
I am headed to the Taka II in Sept.
I was thinking of emailing them to see if that is a busy season for them. I would love to pay half price, but am afraid there won't be any room available. Where do you go to get that half price ticket?

The half price is available at pretty much any dive shop/booking desk or at the Taka office itself. We just walked in to the Taka office and asked how much the 5 day trip was and they said $550 AUD as if it was the regular price. They didn't even mention anything about stand-by rate or anything. The other live-aboards also had cheaper rates, some were even posted on signs on the walls as if it was the regularly advertised price (even though the regularly advertised online price was a lot higher)

I really doubt September is a high season. Even in June, all live-aboards that were going up north (except for Taka) had lots of vacancies. I would definitely take the gamble... $500 AUD savings could be used for heaps of other fun on land and you could leave a nice tip too. If for the small slim chance that Taka is full, there are lots of other good live-aboards that go up north. I would recommend Spirit of Freedom or Nimrod if budget is a factor. They also have great on site rates.

Ok, I am flying into Sydney Sept 20. My holiday is very scheduled, and I had planned on prebooking the Taka II which leaves Cairns on Friday Sept 24, now the Supersport leaves Thurs at 20:00 and the Spirit on Thurs at 12:00. Can I book any of these when I get to Sydney and get the 'cheap' rate, or do I have to be in Cairns to book the cheap rate? I guess I could cut my Sydney visit short and get into Cairns on Wed in order to book one of those 3 liveaboards...but I am soooo nervous that it won't work out. I dont' want to travel half way across the world to dive the GBR and not be able to get on a liveaboard, but at the same time, I hate to pay twice as much, why are we penalized for pre-booking!!!
Need more advice!

h3o:
The half price is available at pretty much any dive shop/booking desk or at the Taka office itself. We just walked in to the Taka office and asked how much the 5 day trip was and they said $550 AUD as if it was the regular price. They didn't even mention anything about stand-by rate or anything. The other live-aboards also had cheaper rates, some were even posted on signs on the walls as if it was the regularly advertised price (even though the regularly advertised online price was a lot higher)

I really doubt September is a high season. Even in June, all live-aboards that were going up north (except for Taka) had lots of vacancies. I would definitely take the gamble... $500 AUD savings could be used for heaps of other fun on land and you could leave a nice tip too. If for the small slim chance that Taka is full, there are lots of other good live-aboards that go up north. I would recommend Spirit of Freedom or Nimrod if budget is a factor. They also have great on site rates.

I was also very worried before I left, that the live-aboards would be full, especially at the height of the supposed dive season in Cairns (june)... but when I got there, I was very glad that I didn't get tempted to book ahead because the rates were so much better and there were PLENTY of vacancies.

To the best of my knowledge, you have to be in Cairns to get the cheaper rates - physically go into the offices and buy the tickets. Again, is your choice, but for me, having pre booked twice, I would not do that again - my experience and anecdotal evidence tells me that there would be space.

I love Cairns, Definitly go on the one scheduled for Cod Hole and Osprey. So worth it. 415Gem :crafty:

Hello Greetings from Cairns

The crew on the Taka liveaboards are fantastic, if you send them a quick email they have no problem sorting out special dietary requirements. I have heard good and bad things re the food - that is why i suggest on sorting it before you arrive. The trip however is fantastic and well worth it. Any special standby rates generally need to be booked when you are here in Cairns.

Lucky for everyone but all of us here, the season has been extremely slow and the weather unusually rainy and cold of late so that gives plenty of specials on at the moment. Pro Dive Cairns i noticed this morning have a sign outside the shop advertising 4 day 3 night liveaboard package for AUD$429 inclusive of 10%GST. all meals and diving.

Enjoy your trips any questions just ask me.

See you around Cairns

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom