Following standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
If you look at PADI's definition of "swimming," it wouldn't surprise you that their other definitions might not be in line with the rest of the world.
Maybe whe should start a PADI Dictionary thread ... naw, look at all the grief I got just for mastery. Way to much kool-aid being swilled.

reefraff:
As an aside, you want more, fine, but true mastery (using your definition, not mine) doesn't lie with any of the PADI-esque agencies. I can't imagine why anyone who thinks that the PADI program is a crock would opt to teach for any of the RSTC clones (including NAUI, even though they aren't a member of the RSTC) instead of BSAC or the nascent GUE program.

That is exactly the conclusion that I reached some time back.

reefraff:
As an aside, you want more, fine, but true mastery (using your definition, not mine) doesn't lie with any of the PADI-esque agencies. I can't imagine why anyone who thinks that the PADI program is a crock would opt to teach for any of the RSTC clones (including NAUI, even though they aren't a member of the RSTC) instead of BSAC or the nascent GUE program. If you're going to be the best, be the best. Now, as to the definition of the "best"...
I think that following the program of any of those agencies is a crock. I couldn’t agree more. But the thing that you are missing concerning NAUI (and some others) is that since there is no top on what is taught and you can do anything that you want as long as it exceeds standards, I have issued cards from several different agencies SOLELY AS A CONVENIENCE to my divers, very much like a friend of mine who was a BUDS instructor and offered LA County cards to anyone in the class who wanted them so that they did not have to draw attention to themselves if they wanted to dive just for the fun of it.

Some of the agencies may let you teach above the standards but the market pressures toward the minimums. If their minimums are significantly more substantial, I'm not bothering with them.

MikeFerrara:
Some of the agencies may let you teach above the standards but the market pressures toward the minimums. If their minimums are significantly more substantial, I'm not bothering with them.
Mike, this is not clear ... what are you saying?

The bottom line is that, as an instructor, your primary duty and responsibility is to your student, not the agency that supplies you with instructional materials. If you cannot adaquately fulfil your dutyto your students and also meet the standards of your agency, you must either violate standards or choose an agency that you can work with without violating their standards. Following standards is no excuse for giving less than your best effort in teaching your students.

Thalassamania:
Mike, this is not clear ... what are you saying?

Sorry. What I meant to say is that the market rewards the fast cheap class so there will always be some instructors who just teach to the minimum requirements.

MikeFerrara:
Sorry. What I meant to say is that the market rewards the fast cheap class so there will always be some instructors who just teach to the minimum requirements.
The market also rewards those who do a more thorough job. In fact I think it rewards them far better (at least on an hourly basis).

grazie42:
One specific thing was doing fin-pivots (I think that´s the english term) in CW1. His reason being that bouyancy control is one of the most important aspects of good/fun diving (duh!).
Clearly you agree with him. Good so far. Who does he harm by doing this in CW1?
It is my (limited) understanding that you´re not allowed to change the sequence in which the skills are introduced.
Within the module you may.
I think I remember something about introducing additional skills being ok though so maybe just calling it something else and doing it slightly different would be ok?
That, IMO, is a gray area. I think an argument can be made, and has been in another thread, that you HAVE to teach some neutral buoyancy before the UW swim, so it becomes a sequence in the same overall skill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom