Following standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
If nothing else, they sure send the whole "mastery" thing out into left field with the "as would be expected of an open water diver" part. As who would expect?

One thing that's easy to see in the water where classes are being conducted is that not very much seems to be expected of an OW diver. So...in relative to "what is expected" badaboombadabing...we have mastery!
Tautology!

GoProHonduras:
Rather than turn this into a 'p##ing' match, which from the frequency of our last few posts this thread is becoming, I'll sign off, looking at the number of posts we have I'm guessing you can afford more time obviously on dry land and with your head in the dictionary than I do.

I will instead apply my good judgement to my class tomorrow am.

Happy armchair diving!

Warm regards,
Andy
That's it, you know you’re wrong, and you know that you’ve been proven working, and instead of standing up like a man you take the worm’s way out: pretend it's just a 'p##ing' match and toss off a self aggrandizing insult. But the matter still stands, and you’re still wrong. All you’ve done is show your true colors, gutless, immature and penchant. And yes, with over 10,000 dives to date I can afford more time dry land with my head in the dictionary with no worries that you’ll catch up any time soon.

Ha haha haha ha hah aha ha, dude!!!!!!!!!!!

Read this over in the morning, do you think i don't have anything better to do on a Saturday night then waste time with you, I entered this thread to pass an opinion from experience, not debate expertise on the dictionary, and you jumped me, that's a fact.

"All you’ve done is show your true colors, gutless, immature and penchant."

Interesting, I was stating an honest opinion that I believe to be correct, whether right or wrong I am entitled to it, I may not have 10000 dives but I do have over 2000 certifications at all levels that allows me an opinion. At the end of each post I signed off personally and pleasantly albeit with 'tongue in cheek' humor, you don't like what I presented and your aggression came through, not mine.

Have a good evening 'Thalassamania'!

Besos,
Andy

GoProHonduras:
do you think i don't have anything better to do on a Saturday night then waste time with you,
Evidently not.

GoProHonduras:
I entered this thread to pass an opinion from experience, not debate expertise on the dictionary, and you jumped me, that's a fact.
You have no experience as a lexicographer so what do you think entitles you to an opinion besides the fact that opinions are like @ssholes and everyone's got one?
GoProHonduras:
"All you’ve done is show your true colors, gutless, immature and penchant."

Interesting, I was stating an honest opinion that I believe to be correct, whether right or wrong I am entitled to it.
An interesting comment, next should we start voting on black and white, or if the sky’s really blue? This is not a matter of opinion.

GoProHonduras:
I may not have 10000 dives
evidently not.
GoProHonduras:
but I do have over 2000 certifications at all levels that allows me an opinion.
2000 PADI certifications is supposed to mean what? It's like 2000 dives … all at the same spot.

GoProHonduras:
At the end of each post I signed off personally and pleasantly albeit with 'tongue in cheek' humor, you don't like what I presented and your aggression came through, not mine.
What I did not like was you’re running away, but I guess you didn’t really mean that and I’ll have to forgive you.:D

Dude, I'm already late for cocktails but you thsi is more entertaining than 'Saturday Night live'!!!!

From the country of free speech I thought you would know everyone is entitled to an opinion!!!

I'll see if this is worth following up tomorrow, what is interesting is that since joining Scubaboard in March 2006 you have accumulated 4134 posts and an additional 7000 dives to your profile??!!

Now split hairs and do your homework!

Kisses,
Andy

GoProHonduras:
From the country of free speech I thought you would know everyone is entitled to an opinion!!!
Eveyone is entitled to an opinion, that does not make them correct.
GoProHonduras:
I'll see if this is worth following up tomorrow, what is interesting is that since joining Scubaboard in March 2006 you have accumulated 4134 posts and an additional 7000 dives to your profile??!!
If you knew anything you'd know that 3,000 is the highest number displayed, after that it's something stupid like "I'm a fish." But then you knew that, didn't you?

I see from your profile that you've not done a damn thing. So what?

Night all, this has keep me up way past my bed time. One last thought though, it's much more rewarding to be a "has been" than to be a "never been."

Thalassamania:
Eveyone is entitled to an opinion, that does not make them correct.
If you knew anything you'd know that 3,000 is the highest number displayed, after that it's something stupid like "I'm a fish." But then you knew that, didn't you?

I see from your profile that you've not done a damn thing. So what?

Night all, this has keep me up way past my bed time. One last thought though, it's much more rewarding to be a "has been" than to be a "never been."

Wow, thanks for imparting your wisdom and experience, when I've done as much I'll make sure to do so but in a different manner.

Regards,
Andy

Thalassamania:
You can disagree all that you want, your disagreement changes nothing. I’d never style my 100 hour students as displaying “mastery” and it does great violence to the language to describe an 18 hour wonder as such, unless you dumb down the word to match the course and that’s self serving and displays both lexigraphic and intellectual dishonesty.

You say "potato," I say "tomato." We disagree, which means (in my world, of which I am the Master) that you're wrong. plbbbttttt...

I've got issues with some of what PADI does (as would be the case with any agency) but the reason the agency has been so successful is that they offer the students, instructors and stores a product - training - that is demonstrably adequate in terms of safety and performance, affordable and fun. That's enough, at least for most of us. Silly little arguments like this one only serve as (sometimes entertaining) distractions from the larger picture.

As an aside, you want more, fine, but true mastery (using your definition, not mine) doesn't lie with any of the PADI-esque agencies. I can't imagine why anyone who thinks that the PADI program is a crock would opt to teach for any of the RSTC clones (including NAUI, even though they aren't a member of the RSTC) instead of BSAC or the nascent GUE program. If you're going to be the best, be the best. Now, as to the definition of the "best"...

Thalassamania:
The question is not how you interpret "mastery" unless you are an expert, qulaified in lexicography. The question is what does the the word actually mean and that's not up for a vote.

PADI has offered their definition. If seems to displease you that PADI's definition and the definition in your dictionary do not match.

kari

Karibelle:
PADI has offered their definition. If seems to displease you that PADI's definition and the definition in your dictionary do not match.

kari
I really don’t care, that’s not the issue. All I said in the beginning was that the concept of “mastery” does not work unless you do great violence to the dictionary definition of the word “mastery.” So we’re in complete agreement there.

The first corollary of our agreement, which should scare the bejessus out of every PADI Instructor, is that a jury is very unlikely to look at “mastery” as a word of art, and much more likely to just open the dictionary … and you think that PADI doesn’t know that? They’re not that stupid, they know damn well that every on of you is outside of standards and they like it like that.

Karibelle:

kari

If you look at PADI's definition of "swimming," it wouldn't surprise you that their other definitions might not be in line with the rest of the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom