Folding snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did a topic in a manufacturers forum go from
Any chance that you guys might be developing a practical folding snorkel? As a PADI instructor, standards say the we must have a snorkel "on us"any chances that you will be making one?
to
What are you doing demonstrating skills for students on the Open water checkout exams anyways? Do you not have enough confidence in the skills that you teach your students in pool? The open water checkout dives are to see if your students can apply what you have taught them in the pool properly. So basically what you are admitting is that your students do not show mastery of their skills in a confined water setting tisk tisk tisk
then to
We seem to have different views on 'in water supervision' then. Personally I don't let me students swim that far away from me
03.gif

Also how are you verifying that they are using the compass properly? They swim in a straight line? How do you know they are not cheating?
I love SB

You suggested the snorkel was for OW courses. last time I checked snorkel/reg exchange was in CW2 of the OW course. It is also a requirement for the OW dives that you have the students perform the skill. I find it easier to use my snorkel than hold my breath because my snorkel is in my BCD, again maybe that's just me.

How do you verify the 50m compass with students Peter, hold your breath?

Seriously for the sake of the 4 days of open water course, it won't kill you guys to wear a snorkel on your mask for the duration now will it?

Everyone has their own person preferences, or have you not seen it. There are some people that would rather use their regulator to observe students at the surface as they are not worried about their air consumption or take the ten seconds it takes to take the snorkel out and throw it on the mask strap.

Where I teach, being a Christmas tree underwater doesn't show your experience. it shows that you aren't experienced enough to properly streamline yourself and not being able to see peoples' point of view and personal preferences show that you are too ignorant to grow and adapt to change, which last I checked is paramount for all instructors, even Master Instructors. If you refuse to grow with different schools of thought, you are no more beneficial to the PADI teaching system then some of the Course Directors around the world that still teach IDC's like they were 20 years ago.

In high current, you don't want anything flapping around, especially when the attention is supposed to be placed on your students and not your own annoying gear. But as I said, you dive one way and the rest of us dive another way.

Yes CW does require the snorkel, however I am not the type of instructor that shows skills to my students (open water students) in a completely different gear set up from what they are wearing, so I teach in the gear that they use. I also don't bring my good mask into a chlorinated pool to get eaten away at, so yes, I have a garbage snorkel on that. Once I get to open water, You know as well as I do that the less gear you have on you trailing around, the better off you are.

Everyone has their own person preferences, or have you not seen it.
Yes I like Brunettes myself.

Perhaps you meant 'personal'?

There are some people that would rather use their regulator to observe students at the surface as they are not worried about their air consumption or take the ten seconds it takes to take the snorkel out and throw it on the mask strap.

Or the millisecond it takes to put it in your mouth if it's on your mask. Personally I find I use it a lot if I'm shore diving, less if I'm boat diving. However I've only used my knife twice, and yet I felt no need to relocate. I still keep stuff handy.

And do you really think after 2000 dives I'm concerned about my air consumption?

Where I teach, being a Christmas tree underwater doesn't show your experience. it shows that you aren't experienced enough to properly streamline yourself and not being able to see peoples' point of view and personal preferences show that you are too ignorant to grow and adapt to change, which last I checked is paramount for all instructors, even Master Instructors. If you refuse to grow with different schools of thought, you are no more beneficial to the PADI teaching system then some of the Course Directors around the world that still teach IDC's like they were 20 years ago.

I dive a classic Hog Rig save for a right hip D-ring I use for Slates. What's your point?

In high current, you don't want anything flapping around, especially when the attention is supposed to be placed on your students and not your own annoying gear. But as I said, you dive one way and the rest of us dive another way.

Yeah, worked in Mozambique, the currents would rip your arm off, my snorkel however stayed in place.

Yes CW does require the snorkel, however I am not the type of instructor that shows skills to my students (open water students) in a completely different gear set up from what they are wearing, so I teach in the gear that they use. I also don't bring my good mask into a chlorinated pool to get eaten away at, so yes, I have a garbage snorkel on that. Once I get to open water, You know as well as I do that the less gear you have on you trailing around, the better off you are.

About the only thing I would agree with you on. Although I use the same mask and snorkel regardless of environment. I do get fussy about the rest of my kit hitting Chlorine.

Back
Top Bottom