Folding snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When teaching I wear a long hose and snorkel. It's really not hard to do both. Have a practice :wink:

EDIT:

For the record. Nimoh if you were assisting me as a DM on an OW course your snorkel would be on your mask at all times.

I understand that it can be done and done safely, just don't see the point of a snorkel.

Since I only divemaster for fun, and don't get paid, it wouldn't bother me much if you fired me :)

I understand that it can be done and done safely, just don't see the point of a snorkel.

Since I only divemaster for fun, and don't get paid, it wouldn't bother me much if you fired me :)

I wouldn't fire you. I'd just keep asking you to demo snorkel/reg exchange every 5 minutes. You'd soon get bored of digging around for your snorkel :rofl3:

Seriously though. It's just a hundred times easier to keep it in place during OW courses.

I wouldn't fire you. I'd just keep asking you to demo snorkel/reg exchange every 5 minutes. You'd soon get bored of digging around for your snorkel :rofl3:

Seriously though. It's just a hundred times easier to keep it in place during OW courses.

I think that would entertain the students immensely :) and since I wouldn't quit on you in the middle of class, you would have me wearing my snorkel after the second demonstration :)

mission accomplished!

Not only that, it keeps something in the mouth of the DM so he can't talk so well. :blinking:

wart wrote
How do you verify the 50m compass with students Peter, hold your breath?

?

Wart -- I have no idea what point you are attempting to make?

For the record, I don't have students do a "50m" anything? What is that?:wink:

However, when they do the 50 yard surface compass nav, I just lie back and watch them. What good would a snorkel do me?

Our LDS is the same mostly regarding the snorkel. For normal diving I keep it in my pocket. Since i dive a gue config normally. Just a DM here with limited classes (read none) after DM. Which probably explains my lack of use in padi courses.
The aqualung foldable one actually sucks to use as a snorkel is more for liability.
You can deploy a long hose with snorkel it's just inefficient but no more so than trying to find an octo. And you do run the risk of taking your mask off with the long hose.

Wart -- I have no idea what point you are attempting to make?

For the record, I don't have students do a "50m" anything? What is that?:wink:

However, when they do the 50 yard surface compass nav, I just lie back and watch them. What good would a snorkel do me?

We seem to have different views on 'in water supervision' then. Personally I don't let me students swim that far away from me :wink:

Also how are you verifying that they are using the compass properly? They swim in a straight line? How do you know they are not cheating?

Wart -- Hmmm --

OK, "in water supervision" -- I'm ahead of them and watching them -- what more supervision can I provide? I'm certainly not going to be coaching them, do you? I tend to be close to the "goal" (generally the float) and watch them -- if they go off course, I then fin over on an intercept line. I want them to come to me.

How do I verify they are using the compass properly? Well, if they get to me, on course, they did something right and that suffices. If they go in circles (which some do), that is discussed and they do it again until they swim a, more-or-less, straight line.

How do I know they aren't cheating? Well, as long as they keep their face in the water, and if they swim to me, how could they "cheat?" Note, there are no visual clues for them EXCEPT their compass -- bottom isn't visible and neither is the float EXCEPT if they raise their head and since I'm watching them, I can see if they raise their head (and Beano's "how do they watch for boats" is a good question -- in "real life" I'd be raising my head now and then).

BTW, in "real life" I'm going to be swimming on my back and navigating by using a range -- not a compass.

OK -- that's how I supervise the students, how do you supervise them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom