Folding snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not too sure why you guys all assume that I want to take it out during a tech dive? I just said, if you read, that I would just like to have a complete Hollis kit head to toe, it will only be used when I am teaching the PADI system as you must have one on you at all times. I don't mind smart ass comments, but read the entries before you reply maybe?

haha I know both well! I have the XS Scuba version of the Aqualung (I don't know how you find your Aqualung, But I find mine to be very flimsy and take on water as a result), I was just hoping that Hollis was thinking about branding it themselves, then all my tech gear would be Hollis.:)

not too sure why you guys all assume that I want to take it out during a tech dive? I just said, if you read, that I would just like to have a complete Hollis kit head to toe, it will only be used when I am teaching the PADI system as you must have one on you at all times. I don't mind smart ass comments, but read the entries before you reply maybe?

Maybe everyone thinks that because of what you posted. No one minds if you get upset about he comments but maybe you should read your own posts and see if you asked for them.

I don't think anyone is implying that you actually think that a snorkel is tech gear, but you have to admit there is some humor in the way your wrote that sentence :)

I highly agree, however I all I legitimately want it for it so I have it in my rec BCD while I am teaching.

I find it's easier to demonstrate snorkel/reg exchange when it's on my mask strap YMMV

I find it's easier to demonstrate snorkel/reg exchange when it's on my mask strap YMMV

What are you doing demonstrating skills for students on the Open water checkout exams anyways? Do you not have enough confidence in the skills that you teach your students in pool? The open water checkout dives are to see if your students can apply what you have taught them in the pool properly. So basically what you are admitting is that your students do not show mastery of their skills in a confined water setting tisk tisk tisk

Last edited:
Wart -- yes indeed it is easier to demonstrate in CONFINED WATER the snorkel/reg exchange. OTOH, in open water, I don't demonstrate anything and thus the snorkel fits quite nicely in my dry suit pocket.

lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg

Folks are just having a little fun on a Friday. :wink:

What are you doing demonstrating skills for students on the Open water checkout exams anyways? Do you not have enough confidence in the skills that you teach your students in pool? The open water checkout dives are to see if your students can apply what you have taught them in the pool properly. So basically what you are admitting is that your students do not show mastery of their skills in a confined water setting tisk tisk tisk

You suggested the snorkel was for OW courses. last time I checked snorkel/reg exchange was in CW2 of the OW course. It is also a requirement for the OW dives that you have the students perform the skill. I find it easier to use my snorkel than hold my breath because my snorkel is in my BCD, again maybe that's just me.

Wart -- yes indeed it is easier to demonstrate in CONFINED WATER the snorkel/reg exchange. OTOH, in open water, I don't demonstrate anything and thus the snorkel fits quite nicely in my dry suit pocket.

How do you verify the 50m compass with students Peter, hold your breath?

Seriously for the sake of the 4 days of open water course, it won't kill you guys to wear a snorkel on your mask for the duration now will it?

You suggested the snorkel was for OW courses. last time I checked snorkel/reg exchange was in CW2 of the OW course. It is also a requirement for the OW dives that you have the students perform the skill. I find it easier to use my snorkel than hold my breath because my snorkel is in my BCD, again maybe that's just me.

How do you verify the 50m compass with students Peter, hold your breath?

Seriously for the sake of the 4 days of open water course, it won't kill you guys to wear a snorkel on your mask for the duration now will it?

not an instructor, but I divemaster for OW and keep a folding snorkel in my pocket. While wearing a snorkel wouldn't kill me, since my backup is bungeed under my chin. If the long hose tangles with the snorkel, it might kill someone else :)

...OK, it wouldn't potentially kill them, it would just be a PITA

not an instructor, but I divemaster for OW and keep a folding snorkel in my pocket. While wearing a snorkel wouldn't kill me, since my backup is bungeed under my chin. If the long hose tangles with the snorkel, it might kill someone else :)

...OK, it wouldn't potentially kill them, it would just be a PITA

When teaching I wear a long hose and snorkel. It's really not hard to do both. Have a practice :wink:

EDIT:

For the record. Nimoh if you were assisting me as a DM on an OW course your snorkel would be on your mask at all times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom