FNG from St Augustine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not an instructor, so I don’t really have any personal interest in who you chose. Here are just a couple thoughts based on my experience and having three kids who also dive.

Be careful if you are price shopping. I have seen how some instructor operate with large class sizes and a “push em through” style. This is not the place to try and save 100bucks and end up with a bad experience.

If you plan to really get into diving, you will likely move on to AOW and maybe other training. So developing a relationship with local instructor you mesh well with can pay off over time.

In Florida, Nitrox (enriched air) is very common, and some instructors will let you add this cert to your OW at a discounted rate. +$75 is not unusual. I would recommend this for anyone. Taking OW in this area.

Most instructor in this area are affiliated with shops, but operate independently. You should seek out a reference based on the type of diving you plan to do.

Full disclosure: I am biased towards cave/cavern/spring diving, and really think this is an awesome place to start diving, even if you are destined for the Caribbean. For my kids, I found an OW instructor who was also an experienced cave-tech diver. This means they were taught advanced skills right from then start, and made them much better divers, on a faster pace than most. There are still OW instructors who are teaching new divers bad habits. Things like a fin-pivot, or doing drills while kneeling, are just wrong. (IMHO) and will get you into bad habits that are hard to break.

I definitely plan on getting into cave diving and dry suit as well. I really appreciate your input, I did not know adding Nitrox to the OW was an option. Now I know to ask. Any more input is welcome.

my 2 cents: take your time, have fun. Don't be in a rush to buy gear. Try stuff out if you can. Your preferences will likely change over time. There are some threads on SB about gear people bought but rarely use.

I'm curious to know why they barely used it though.

Various reasons. Some just make bad purchasing decisions, and buy gear not suited for type of diving they end up doing.

Most cases I have seen, are new enthusiastic divers, who go “all in”, and were maybe even pressured by their first dive shop with s package deal, or new diver discount. Then for whatever reason just don’t end up diving very much. I think we have all had some hobby where we got excited at first, and then it just fizzled.

Welcome to SB Justin. Let us know how you make out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom