FNG from St Augustine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justin McLane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone. Name's Justin. I've been snorkeling for years and finally decided that this winter I'm going to get certified to dive. I welcome any and all advice and questions. Equipment, schools, techniques, locations welcome.

Welcome aboard... have you found an instructor yet? You are very close to the best place in the US for salt water and spring diving. Just my opinion, but seeking out your open water training in the CFL / High Springs area will give you a huge advantage.

Great selection of instructors, gear options, and dive sites that are virtually unaffected by weather.

Gear is a very personal choice, and you can probably get more than 10 opinions by asking just 3 divers. Having said that..you can gear and great support locally here for most of the best options.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions...

Rent your gear during your training. Rent again before you ever buy.

Rent your gear during your training. Rent again before you ever buy.

Buying gear right off the bat is not a good idea, but I just hate most rental gear. Most of the time it’s been pretty abused.

I suggest asking a potential instructor If they have loaner gear, or if shops has a demo gear to try. They are more likely to give you the nice stuff if you are a potential buyer.

You also might find a local willing to let you borrow some gear.

I'm a fan of Extended Range Diving Services. They are great instructors and by working independently, they don't have a vested interest in selling you what's in their shop. They work directly with some great shops and I like that they support the local stores, but they don't give you the hard sell or party line on brands. They also put together a lot of Florida trips where they do training. I've been really happy with the instruction my buddy and I have gotten from them.

Extended Range Diving Services-Exceptional Instruction Personalized Adventure

.... OP is in St Augustine... you can hardly swing a stick without hitting a scuba instructor. ...and beyond that, some very fine options that are nearly local to you..

Welcome aboard... have you found an instructor yet? You are very close to the best place in the US for salt water and spring diving. Just my opinion, but seeking out your open water training in the CFL / High Springs area will give you a huge advantage.

Great selection of instructors, gear options, and dive sites that are virtually unaffected by weather.

Gear is a very personal choice, and you can probably get more than 10 opinions by asking just 3 divers. Having said that..you can gear and great support locally here for most of the best options.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions...
I have not settled on an instructor yet. What advantage would I get? I like advantages.

I have not settled on an instructor yet. What advantage would I get? I like advantages.

I am not an instructor, so I don’t really have any personal interest in who you chose. Here are just a couple thoughts based on my experience and having three kids who also dive.

Be careful if you are price shopping. I have seen how some instructor operate with large class sizes and a “push em through” style. This is not the place to try and save 100bucks and end up with a bad experience.

If you plan to really get into diving, you will likely move on to AOW and maybe other training. So developing a relationship with local instructor you mesh well with can pay off over time.

In Florida, Nitrox (enriched air) is very common, and some instructors will let you add this cert to your OW at a discounted rate. +$75 is not unusual. I would recommend this for anyone. Taking OW in this area.

Most instructor in this area are affiliated with shops, but operate independently. You should seek out a reference based on the type of diving you plan to do.

Full disclosure: I am biased towards cave/cavern/spring diving, and really think this is an awesome place to start diving, even if you are destined for the Caribbean. For my kids, I found an OW instructor who was also an experienced cave-tech diver. This means they were taught advanced skills right from then start, and made them much better divers, on a faster pace than most. There are still OW instructors who are teaching new divers bad habits. Things like a fin-pivot, or doing drills while kneeling, are just wrong. (IMHO) and will get you into bad habits that are hard to break.

howdy and welcome from your southeast florida neighbor.....good luck with your training.

Be careful if you are price shopping. I have seen how some instructor operate with large class sizes and a “push em through” style. This is not the place to try and save 100bucks and end up with a bad experience.

If you plan to really get into diving, you will likely move on to AOW and maybe other training. So developing a relationship with local instructor you mesh well with can pay off over time.

+1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom