Flying with Regulators into and out of the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally, I keep my regs in the checked baggage but with the hoses attached to both 1st and 2nd stages - this way it is difficult for baggage handling staff to quickly pocket a standalone reg - since they are not permitted to carry tools like spanner’s into the airport high security zone. Try pocketing a reg with a 7ft hose attached to it LOL … :crafty:

@Kimela they didn't say why but I'm guessing it's either can be used to choke someone or spin it around like nunchucks lol
I did a "deep dive" to figure it out (sometimes I can't let go of a question until I have the answer - wish it was about really important/helpful things!). The original rule (2015) listed Scuba Diving Equipment as restricted under the category "Blunt Instruments". Then I found the 2019 update that @Centrals mentioned and "Scuba Diving Equipment" was gone, but "Air tank (as in diving)" is not allowed as carry-on but is allowed (empty) in checked baggage. So ... maybe they thought one could use the first stage as a blunt instrument? It IS heavy. They take away small screwdrivers in Cozumel in case we decide to go MacGyver from there to DFW! :wink:

@Kimela I was more confused about losing my powerboard lol
That is strange. There are some laws on the books in the US about having heavy objects on a rope, to use as a weapon - maybe that's it - or maybe the agent needed a power bar? I'll make sure we pack ours in checked luggage. :)

IATA states that power bank is NOT allowed in checked bag.
I had this question threw at me on a Cebu Pacific flight from HKG to MNL recently.

Please read: Passengers travelling with Lithium batteries by IATA.

@Centrals powerBOARD
IMG_2650.jpeg

They take away small screwdrivers in Cozumel in case we decide to go MacGyver from there to DFW! :wink:
Yep! Here in my country, Airport security took away the tiny little screw driver that came with the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS which I had left in the original box it came in. Regs these days are made of composites and plastics and quite lightweight and breakable so not sure if they can be viewed as blunt force instruments.

That said just yesterday at office we were discussing ( in jest ) how the ID Card Holder on a retractable nylon wire used to clip on one’s shirt could be used to strangle a Pilot if allowed on a plane… is that disallowed too?

IMG_7919.jpeg

Resurrecting this thread - it's 2024 now.

Just to clarify. In order to stay within the written rules (whether they are enforced or not) we should take apart our regulators, put in plugs, put 1st & snd stage and octo into hard cases (found some great ones at Harbor Freight, btw) and pack those in our checked luggage. Hoses I suppose can be packed along with neoprene.

My concern is theft. I think if we pack things in hard cases they'll be protected well enough, but those cases will be easy to 'grab-n-go'. I guess we can rent regs there if that happens. It's always a calculated risk.
I have never taken apart regulators (often travel w 4 sets for technical diving). Last thing I need is the extra weight of hard cases in my checked luggage! I just wrap them in wetsuit, dry bag, rash guards, etc. I have been traveling to the Philppines for 20+ years and I have never had a problem. I don't hand carry my regulators because I don't want the added weight and I personally have never had my checked baggage pilfered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom