Flying with Reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My recent experience between Dallas/Ft Worth and Raleigh/Durham was fairly benign.

I had planned ahead for the increase security by being early. Regs were in my backpack (carry-on) along with my water, snacks and Tom Clancy novel. And id packed the main gear into a hard plastic foot locker.

Ticket agent just clarified that I did not have any tanks in the foot locker, and the X-ray technician at the security check point just looked a bit harder at the screen when my bag passed through. But evidently he figured out what it was and didn't request any additional inspection.

So as far as my experience, standard scuba travel practices work fine for domestic travel.

If someone tried to highjack a plane with nail clippers, I'd ask them if they would kindly give me a pedicure first.:loopy:

I forgot to pack my nail clipper in my check in. I inadverently put it in my backpack and when I got to the airport they removed it from my pack. They gave me the option of either breaking off the 1/2 inch file or relinquish the whole clipper.

So, if you want to "save: your 39 cent clipper :D then put it in check in.

Another item they scrutinized was the ankle weights my buddy had packed in her check in. Why they were there I don't know but security wasn't interested in our regs, they sort of knew what they were, but the ankle weights and the clipper was a different story.

Originally posted by donooo
OK Travelers,
I'am gonna catch a plane in Tijuana and fly to Cozumel with one plane change. (Mex City) Will I (or should I) be able to carry on my regulator or should I pack it away and hope it finds me in Cozumel?

bob sorry if i sound really stupid,but i put all my gear in the hold!!!!!!!, as we now only have limited hand luggage , any reason why i shouldnt appart from losing it at the other end? a clever brit really lol almost adios, don O

Hello Scubachick,
You don't sound foolish at all, only foolish people never ask questions. Regs are the most expensive piece of gear that most folks travel with. They don't need to be treated roughly, they need TLC. That said, ever watch how baggage handlers throw luggage around and stack it on top of each other? I wouldn't want my regs to go through that. The main reason I carry them on with me is the fact that they are so easy to steal! Most divers carry their gear in bags that announce they are divers. That makes it easy for some bag handler so inclined to steal your gear. I was in Miami about a month ago waiting to pick up my gear at the baggage claim area and a Mares duffle bag came by, neatly slit down the side.... Armour makes a regulator bag that comes with a shoulder strap, this is what I use when I travel commercial, and what you should consider in the future, even on your return trip from Mexico! Just subsitute the reg bag for your handbag or purse, and put your purse in your carry on. This is what my bride has always done. The reg bag is also just large enough to carry those essential things that ladies need to have on hand. Hope you have a wonderful trip! Dive safely.:tree:Bob

I must admit, u ask any women and she will pack light things at the bottom and heavier things in the middle so nothing gets ceased or crushed, oh being a women is not easy lol, i try to keep luggage low key, ie HELLO I AM A SCUBA DIVER ,but now with the weight restritisions, i feel i do have to keep things to a minium, ie, dive log, fins, mask snorkel, boots, gloves, god the list goes on, no longer goes in the cabin, but thanks for the advice and trust me if it goes missing god will i cause hell, god bless america in this unhappy time, love a uk citizen ps, i love asking questions, because that is the only way u r going to learn anything xxxxxxx

Just a note on the security issue. It is my opinion that stun guns be issued to all passengers as they board their flights. Instead of disarming the passengers (as would be hijackers will probably always find a way to get their weapons on board) let's just arm everyone. I know this sounds absurd, but let's face it crashing planes full of people into buildings full of people was also totally absurd and monstrous, of course. Obviously we'll not be having stun guns issued to us anytime soon...soooo I'll be packing my regulator in my carry on bag and any would be hijackers might as well plan on taking a bash from my regulator upside the head!! If I'm going down, I'm going down fighting (I'm generally a peaceful person, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do). I also plan on wearing spike high heels on my next flight (bet I could do a hijacker quite a bit of damage with a spiked heel in the eye).

NO FEAR!!!

Hi Blondie, thanks for message, it takes me back to an American Pilot who said " when u board a flight and take your seat, say hello to the person next to u, and agree on a plan of action in case of hijack, hit them with pillows, shoes and sheer anger, and why not, the chance of it happening again to me is very remote i hope,anyway i only said that i wont be carrying my reg on board honest, and let me tell u i will be truley p****d off if i didnt get to my destination trust me, with or without my reg and bcd, fins, boots, mask, snorkel, gloves , log book ect, ect.ect
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom