Flying pressurized tanks in General Aviation Aircraft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lotsofgadgets:
I had a question about this to, and I could not find anything in the FAR's about it, so I contacted the AOPA. It turns out that carrying compressed gas is considered Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) and is prohibited by DOT regulations.

If you talk to them ask for the regulation. It probably doesn't apply to air. That would mean our tires are hazardous :wink:

Chris GA:
Does anyone have any technicl information about flying with full 3000 PSI aluminum tanks? I fly a small aircraft and would like to take air on occasion as some places I land don't have any dive facilities much less air. It would seem the pressure at 10,000 feet (500 millibars) would be perfectly within any stress limits for typical tank design.

Why, where are WE going?:wink:

All DOT regulation are directed to commercial operations. The term "In Commerce" is found through out the regulations. If it is your private aircraft you do not have to meet DOT regulations. I don't know if the FAA has any regulation on this when it comes to private aircraft. If it a rented aircraft it may or may not, and the aircraft owner may or may not allow it. As for the pressure in the tank that is not an issue.

If your weight and balance calculations allow them, strap them down well and go. You shouldn't have a problem in a Seneca. You would be surprised what I can get in our Cardinal RG.

Chris GA:
Does anyone have any technicl information about flying with full 3000 PSI aluminum tanks? I fly a small aircraft and would like to take air on occasion as some places I land don't have any dive facilities much less air. It would seem the pressure at 10,000 feet (500 millibars) would be perfectly within any stress limits for typical tank design.

sent a empty tank without the valves to japan with my gf and they insist on opening the box to make sure there was no air even though my gf stated that it was empty. when they visually inspected it and were satisfied they wrapped it back up and let her check it in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom