Flying pressurized tanks in General Aviation Aircraft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris GA

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have any technicl information about flying with full 3000 PSI aluminum tanks? I fly a small aircraft and would like to take air on occasion as some places I land don't have any dive facilities much less air. It would seem the pressure at 10,000 feet (500 millibars) would be perfectly within any stress limits for typical tank design.

It's not an issue from a pressure standpoint and I am unaware of any FAR's that prohibit carrying full scuba tanks on private aircraft.

The pilot in command is the person ultimately responsible for the safety of the flight so I have always interpreted that to mean full tanks on board are just fine as long as I am ok with it.

The small, portable oxygen systems for light aircraft are nothing more than small scuba bottles with a constant flow regulator. They are exactly like the CPR units. The bottles are hydro-ed to much higher pressures, as are the scuba tanks you want to carry. There should be no problems.

I think that one of the main issues would be weight. Carrying two people, scuba gear, luggage, and 2 tanks for 2 people (4 total) is a lot of weight to shoehorn into something like a Cessna 172. (Of course I have no clue what you're flying.)

what type of tanks? aluminum 80's ?

are the LP steel tanks considered stronger anyone?

Weight and balance is always an issue, but that is up to the pilot to take care of. As for the tanks, internal pressure will not change. If you can withstand the drop in external pressure, they certainly can. :D

FYI Most portable O2 bottles (Scott, Puritan Bennett) are DOT 3AA 1800 (some old ones are 2100) cylinders some of the newer small companys use DOT 3AL 1800 cylinders. As for aircraft mounted cylinders most use DOT 3HT-1850 (thin wall steel cylinder 24 year life) or DOT E8562-1850 (Composite cylinders made by SCI 15 year life). As for taking your scuba cylinders with you there is no FAR or DOT reg saying that you can't take them with you. One thing I would like to stress is Please secure them very good with tye downs. I know of one person that will never walk & talk again due to a small tool box hitting him in the back of the head in a small accident that he would have walked away from if not for the tool box.

Thanks everyone. These are S80 AL3000's.

I am flying a Seneca III so the plane will handle the weight fine.

I would strap these in securely. I agree full tanks flying around the cabin would not be fun.

Chris GA:
Does anyone have any technicl information about flying with full 3000 PSI aluminum tanks? I fly a small aircraft and would like to take air on occasion as some places I land don't have any dive facilities much less air. It would seem the pressure at 10,000 feet (500 millibars) would be perfectly within any stress limits for typical tank design.

Consult your Pilot's Operating Handbook. If it doesn't provide any assistance, call Piper and ask if they have any restrictions on cargo in the aircraft. You can also call and ask your FAA office. Sometimes restrictions have more to do with whether the structural integrity of the aircraft is compromised by failure of the item more than a regulation against the item. If you are not pressurized, it may be that the engineer’s aren’t as concerned about a blown valve or a cabin fire blowing the tank through the side of your fuselage.

I had a question about this to, and I could not find anything in the FAR's about it, so I contacted the AOPA. It turns out that carrying compressed gas is considered Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) and is prohibited by DOT regulations.

There are probably numerous interpretations of what it exactly means, but DOT regs apply to interstate commerce. That would have a definite impact on carrying tanks by a Part 135 operator or unscheduled commercial carrier, but would not apply to the operations of a private pilot.

Back
Top Bottom