Flying after 2 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not exactly correct. I have experience in climbing and had certification as a wilderness 1st responder to identify and treat accidents and illness while climbing. 14,000 ft results I'm mild altitude sickness. Likely symptoms are a headache and possible swelling. Around 20,000 ft is where things start to really change. Many people each year leave sea level, fly to the mountains and ride a ski lift to over 10,000 ft. The majority may have some shortness of breath with exercise, that's about it. Some will show very minor altitude sickness (headache). There is plenty of oxygen in the air at those altitudes. We use very little of the oxygen we breath, that's why CPR works.

We are getting OT here and splitting a lot of hairs, but with all things related to breathing, it is not the amount of O2 that matters but the PO2. Around here (Oootah) we have a term called a Texas heart attack for those who come from sea level, ski a few runs, experience a shortness of breath, and other symptoms of AMS then go to the clinic thinking they are dying. They are told to go down in altitude, not to drink alcohol, and rest for a day to acclimate.

To compare aviation functional requirements to that of skiing/climbing is apples to oranges. The requirement for aviators to O2 use at 10k is to prevent any chance of AMS. It does not mater that only a few people in the general population may exhibit mild signs of AMS and be functional. The requirement for a pilot is not to have any regardless, as one does want to have any signs/symptoms of AMS while flying a airplane. Period.

This is not exactly correct. I have experience in climbing and had certification as a wilderness 1st responder to identify and treat accidents and illness while climbing. 14,000 ft results I'm mild altitude sickness. Likely symptoms are a headache and possible swelling. Around 20,000 ft is where things start to really change. Many people each year leave sea level, fly to the mountains and ride a ski lift to over 10,000 ft. The majority may have some shortness of breath with exercise, that's about it. Some will show very minor altitude sickness (headache). There is plenty of oxygen in the air at those altitudes. We use very little of the oxygen we breath, that's why CPR works.

All this is a rather silly discussion to me. Why risk DCS and push the limits of when it's safe to fly? As I read your doing many dives over many days, so miss two. guarantee no risk, enjoy a relaxing day, have some drinks. Save the cost and implications of a possible chamber ride and dive another day. I'm a new diver and want to as many as possible, I understand wanting to get the most out of a trip as you can. To me it just does not really seem worth the risk.

Now what do you guys think of using a float plane as a platform for diving. Seems I could do many areas in a short period of time? (Joke)

I have a friend who did exactly that in Belize. He could take divers to all the best sites very quickly. It was awesome. He rarely got above 100 feet in altitude. The trouble was he couldn't get any business. Most divers won't surface and then get on an airplane. The business folded after less than 6 months. As far a you doing it. Not if you are the pilot, the minute you go under you are now on an FAA mandated no fly. It was either 8 hrs, 12 hrs, or 24. I can't remember which.

My MD buddy told me that it has more to do with removing the stress on the body than it does the actual offgassing process. Walking around and being somewhat active is good for offgassing by promoting bloodflow to the large muscles, and sleeping removes a lot of stress from the body which can cause tension, increasing risk of DCS. My apologies for not having that completely straight. He seems to remember a publication on it, but it is quite old and he is trying to find it for reference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom