Flying after 2 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lozadora

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I am planning on doing 2 dives tomorrow so e time between 8am to 1pm-ish.

i have a one hour flight at 8:40am the following day. So this will be about 20 hours after the last dive.

I know it should be 24 hours but on DAN's website they indicate it is possibly safe after 17 hours.

Reckon I will be okay as it is a one hour flight, or is the length of flight not the point?

what is depth and duration of the dives?

Based off of your experience level I'm going to assume no O2 deco ability which can help shorten the interval, but the recommended number is 12 hours for a single dive, and 18 hours for repetitive. Sleeping it off will help, and make sure you stay hydrated. Being well rested and well hydrated is the best way to ward off DCS, so drink plenty of water to keep your blood vessels happy. Clear and Copious is your friend here.

Length of flight is irrelevant but altitude is. If you're on a cessna going to 5k feet it's mostly a nonissue, if it's on a jet the typical cabin pressure is maintained around 0.75bar or equivalent of 8k feet/2400m. What bends you is pressure differentials, so it is the equivalent of descending an extra 3m on your dive profile. There's a lot of theory that I'm not comfortable posting about on here with regards to how to alter your actual dive profile to account for flights as well as extending O2 decompression stops to lower tissue loading. In your situation, I'm going to assume they're relatively short shallow dives, and you have more than 18 hours of SIT so you should be good to go.

And if possible do the deepest dive first..

NOw I hear repetitive dives over successive days, not just one day of diving twice. More caution should be exercised if diving is recurring over several days. Be careful. Consider dropping the last dive, or going substantially shallower on it ( or both dives).
DivemasterDennis

you are seriously pushing NDL's, so I would be very careful on that last dive and I would try to keep a much shallower max depth, preferably average as well before flying. You never mentioned what kind of plane you're going on, but you may want to treat tomorrows dives as altitude dives if you have been trained on how to calculate that. I'm checking out of advice on this one with those dive profiles, if you weren't pushing the NDL's as much are you are, then it's a different story, but that's cutting it a bit close for me. 20 hours will likely be fine, and as long as you aren't doing any exertion the rest of that day and are drinking water like a damn fish it may work.

Thank you - absolute maximum would be 30m - both dives to 29m today were 44 minutes average depth of 16m - should be similar tomorrow.

30m is not shallow. 44 min and average of 16 suggests that you are spending a significant amount of time below 20m. If I were doing that 2 days in a row I would want to lighten up before flying early the next day.

This may be a dumb question, but are you diving in the ocean (sea level) or lake/river which may be at a higher elevation than sea level?

From DAN, I use 18 hours. If I have decompression dives in my profile, (light deco, less than or equal to 10 min is all I do) I increase my interval to 24 hours or until my dive computer says I'm desaturated.

Dives within the No-Decompression Limits

• A Single No-Decompression Dive: A minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.
  • Multiple Dives per Day or Multiple Days of Diving: A minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.
Dives Requiring Decompression Stops

• There is little experimental or published evidence on which to base a recommendation for decompression dives. A preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent.

Back
Top Bottom