Flying after 2 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you - absolute maximum would be 30m - both dives to 29m today were 44 minutes average depth of 16m - should be similar tomorrow.

yikes, now your situation seems different, I thought it was one day of diving, now it's multiple...

I recently did something similar, but I planned all my dives (9) over three days in advance... and I used nitrox for the last 7, using my dive computer to help manage my no fly time... my flight was at 4am the following day, we finished our last dive at 10:30am and my dive computer showed 14:36 (for those following, my computer is also set for special physical conditions (I'm overweight)... following that, we had 17:30 hours before the flight, and both my computer and my wife's cleared NO FLY before we boarded.

Neither of us (in our 50s) had any indications, signs, or symptoms of DCI.

That's us, we took an informed risk. But at least we followed a well developed dive plan that worked out ON THE NUMBERS.

I'm suprised that the OP needs to ask an internet chat board for this information. Is it not covered in every basic scuba class?
45 minutes at 30 m? Repetitive days of diving don't go away with a magic wand just because you can get somebody on the internet to agree.

I'm suprised that the OP needs to ask an internet chat board for this information. Is it not covered in every basic scuba class?
45 minutes at 30 m? Repetitive days of diving don't go away with a magic wand just because you can get somebody on the internet to agree.
It should be (and it wont be 45 minutes AT 30 meters for someone with <25 dives for damn sure) and back when you got tables, the suggestions from your agency was even printed on them :)

My understanding is the air pressure in commercial planes in the air is roughly the equivalent of 5000 feet above sea level, kind of like being here in Denver. It is not an "event" that is at issue, it is that flying is the same as driving from sea level to 5000 feet, (which by the way is closer to .85 atm than .75). At 14,000 feet you are at about .56 atm, not "dangerously hypoxic unless you are not acclimated and engage in strenuous exercise ( like climbing one of our 14,000 feet high mountains on the first day of your vacation.)
DivemasterDennis

My understanding is the air pressure in commercial planes in the air is roughly the equivalent of 5000 feet above sea level, kind of like being here in Denver. It is not an "event" that is at issue, it is that flying is the same as driving from sea level to 5000 feet, (which by the way is closer to .85 atm than .75). At 14,000 feet you are at about .56 atm, not "dangerously hypoxic unless you are not acclimated and engage in strenuous exercise ( like climbing one of our 14,000 feet high mountains on the first day of your vacation.)
DivemasterDennis

Depends on the aircraft 4k-8k feet is typical. Some people coming from sea level can experience hypoxia as low as 5k feet.

Flying after diving: What is Decompression: Flying after Diving ? Medical Dive Article ? DAN | Divers Alert Network

Dennis, it's dangerously hypoxic for the pilots who need clear heads and fast reflexes in cast of an emergency, not going to kill you or likely make you pass out, but the pilots need to be as clear headed as possible.

8k feet is generally the max permissible, quite a few are 6k feet with goals to get down as low as possible. Most hang out in the 7k range, and the new dreamliner is in the 6k range, but all well above 5k unless you're in the really nice business jets. You have to plan for FAD with the 8k feet range though because every plane is different.

DivemasterDennis

Being a military aviator, I'd have to disagree with the comments about 14,000 feet. Maybe you want to split hairs over 'dangerously', but reality is that the majority of the population will suffer the affects of hypoxia at 14,000 feet. People living in the mountain west perhaps might not feel the affects as quickly, but that's 8 million people out of 380 million. At 10,000 feet, aviators are required to start using supplemental oxygen due to the effects of hypoxia, and it increases dramatically for every 1000 feet above that.

Very, very few people can simply climb a 14,000 foot mountain, VERY few. Any true mountaineer would agree that for an unconditioned and unacclimated individual to attempt to climb a 14,000 ft mountain, would put them in a situation that could result in DANGEROUS hypoxia without supplemental oxygen.

Hello,

I am planning on doing 2 dives tomorrow so e time between 8am to 1pm-ish.

i have a one hour flight at 8:40am the following day. So this will be about 20 hours after the last dive.

I know it should be 24 hours but on DAN's website they indicate it is possibly safe after 17 hours.

Reckon I will be okay as it is a one hour flight, or is the length of flight not the point?

You should be fine ... but deco isn't an exact science, which is why they build in such large buffers. If you want to hedge your bets a bit, use nitrox ... or find an O2 bottle and spend about 20 minutes or so breathing from it right after your dive. It will accelerate the expulsion of N2 from your system.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Being a military aviator, I'd have to disagree with the comments about 14,000 feet. Maybe you want to split hairs over 'dangerously', but reality is that the majority of the population will suffer the affects of hypoxia at 14,000 feet. People living in the mountain west perhaps might not feel the affects as quickly, but that's 8 million people out of 380 million. At 10,000 feet, aviators are required to start using supplemental oxygen due to the effects of hypoxia, and it increases dramatically for every 1000 feet above that.

Very, very few people can simply climb a 14,000 foot mountain, VERY few. Any true mountaineer would agree that for an unconditioned and unacclimated individual to attempt to climb a 14,000 ft mountain, would put them in a situation that could result in DANGEROUS hypoxia without supplemental oxygen.

This is not exactly correct. I have experience in climbing and had certification as a wilderness 1st responder to identify and treat accidents and illness while climbing. 14,000 ft results I'm mild altitude sickness. Likely symptoms are a headache and possible swelling. Around 20,000 ft is where things start to really change. Many people each year leave sea level, fly to the mountains and ride a ski lift to over 10,000 ft. The majority may have some shortness of breath with exercise, that's about it. Some will show very minor altitude sickness (headache). There is plenty of oxygen in the air at those altitudes. We use very little of the oxygen we breath, that's why CPR works.

All this is a rather silly discussion to me. Why risk DCS and push the limits of when it's safe to fly? As I read your doing many dives over many days, so miss two. guarantee no risk, enjoy a relaxing day, have some drinks. Save the cost and implications of a possible chamber ride and dive another day. I'm a new diver and want to as many as possible, I understand wanting to get the most out of a trip as you can. To me it just does not really seem worth the risk.

Now what do you guys think of using a float plane as a platform for diving. Seems I could do many areas in a short period of time? (Joke)

You should be fine ... but deco isn't an exact science, which is why they build in such large buffers. If you want to hedge your bets a bit, use nitrox ... or find an O2 bottle and spend about 20 minutes or so breathing from it right after your dive. It will accelerate the expulsion of N2 from your system.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You may be missing the subsequent post where the OP says this is the second day of two dives to 30m each day... Now we have four dives the OP has done to 30 m. How many were done the day before?

Thank you - absolute maximum would be 30m - both dives to 29m today were 44 minutes average depth of 16m - should be similar tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom