flu-like symptoms two days after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got some kind of a bug 2 years ago. 2 weeks after returning from the Caribbean, I had developed the following symptoms:
1. High fever in attacks, on and off.
2. Low blood pressure, down to 80/45 with very high pulse, up to 120
3. Stomach pain in no specific place, here and there.
After 3 days my wife finally kicked me out into emergency where we spent 6 hrs while they ran all kinds of tests. The outcome was the diagnosis of "an unknown viral infection" and a bill for about $13K (which we negotiated down to $3.5K later). At least, they gave me a painkiller and some muscle relaxant, so the next morning fever and stomach pain were gone. The low blood pressure/high pulse combo stayed for couple more days, though. I lay flat and even at the easyest move, like turning myself on the other side, my pulse would jump up to 140. After these symptoms were gone, I had dry cough for couple days, then finally recovered. I had no skin rush so it's unlikely this was Dengue, but definitely some tropical sh$t.

Not good. That was a very costly and brutal ordeal.

Four years ago I flew down to CLT to see a friend (last time I flew) for a weekend. It was late October and I’d not gotten around to getting my flu shot. I must have picked up the flu bug on the flight back to ORD. Flew back Sunday and by Tuesday I was sick. I was so sick I was off work for FOUR days (I’m rarely that sick) and dragging my arse for probably six weeks after. Lost most of my sense of smell for several years.

I am a firm believer in the flu shot. I can count on getting 1-2 head colds a year, but it has been well over a decade since I was sidelined by the flu. Interesting, I had four co-workers also who tested + for the flu. We all got our flu shots at work. It makes me wonder if the vaccine we were given were the same lot number.

. Lost most of my sense of smell for several years.
Interesting, I lost my sense of smell for 3 weeks. While it would have been a blessing on an aircraft, my appetite was non existent. I cannot imagine lasting for several years.

I am a firm believer in the flu shot. I can count on getting 1-2 head colds a year, but it has been well over a decade since I was sidelined by the flu. Interesting, I had four co-workers also who tested + for the flu. We all got our flu shots at work. It makes me wonder if the vaccine we were given were the same lot number.
I never had flu and never had flu shots. I'm not bulletproof, though. I have common cold sometimes, I had bronchitis couple times, and I even had pneumonia once. But my flu tests were always negative.
Not good. That was a very costly and brutal ordeal.
Can't say I'd enjoyed this experience :)

Interesting, I lost my sense of smell for 3 weeks. While it would have been a blessing on an aircraft, my appetite was non existent. I cannot imagine lasting for several years.
There are a couple of different versions of the flu shot this year, some cover 3 strains and some 4 but not sure if one has proven more effective this season. It may be possible too that some factor in shipping effected a batch.

I have to believe that personal immunological response must play a role as well. It can’t be purely coincidental that for the past several years the flu has run through our immunized staff but has left me alone, or at least so mild it wasn’t a factor, when we all got the same shot.

There are a couple of different versions of the flu shot this year, some cover 3 strains and some 4 but not sure if one has proven more effective this season. It may be possible too that some factor in shipping effected a batch.

I have to believe that personal immunological response must play a role as well. It can’t be purely coincidental that for the past several years the flu has run through our immunized staff but has left me alone, or at least so mild it wasn’t a factor, when we all got the same shot.

How a person cares for themselves (eat healthy, proper sleep, etc) will help too. Perhaps that is you?

The other is how a person's body deals with the stressors in their life. Perhaps your coworkers aren't as good at that as are you, either?

I agree that a healthy lifestyle helps and I may be slightly above average there but not so much the past few years. Diet yes but physical activity not so much. Its truely depressing. I think it really hit home when I noticed I was no longer game to tackle the more challenging entries in Bonaire, even with my new “cane” suggested by Adivingbel, and when planning land based adventures for my up coming trip to St Kitts I pretty much eliminated the climb to the top of the volcano after reading reviews. If I decide to do it, it would have to be the end of the trip because I know I won’t be mobile the next day. :(

Ahhh the joys of flying. You might as well be tongue kissing everyone on the plane....

Safe travels,
Jay
Apparently your airline handles travel a bit differently than mine. Is that an upgrade option?

Back
Top Bottom