flu-like symptoms two days after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Troll! I did conveniently exclude that minor detail from my original story. For years I have refused to take a readily available free of charge flu shot. There!
:eek::eek:o_O

It costs money to burn more fuel to refresh the cabin air on aircraft. So they recirculate it, heavily, and that recirculates any bug that any passenger has. Airplane flu, about the only thing that might actually help is wearing a breathing mask--and that'll get you the stink-eye pretty fast.

There's also, let me guess, RENTAL GEAR used on vacation? And a common "rinsing tub" for face masks on a dive boat? All of that is a great way to share every bug that every pther diver has. Pink-eye from the mask water, "flu" from the regulator. For reasons they wouldn't tell me, the folks at Lysol said no, don't use their disinfectant on SCUBA gear...so i guess I'll start carrying a big bottle of cheap Vodka to disinfect shared gear. Might make me the popular guy, huh?

You won't catch my mask in the group bucket but since I treat for fogging by using my spit, everyone is appreciative of that.

Dettol, gawd how I love the smell of Dettol.

As for wearing a mask 9n the plane, I've been known to do that too. It's best to use an N95. :p

It costs money to burn more fuel to refresh the cabin air on aircraft. So they recirculate it, heavily, and that recirculates any bug that any passenger has. Airplane flu, about the only thing that might actually help is wearing a breathing mask--and that'll get you the stink-eye pretty fast.

There's also, let me guess, RENTAL GEAR used on vacation? And a common "rinsing tub" for face masks on a dive boat? All of that is a great way to share every bug that every pther diver has. Pink-eye from the mask water, "flu" from the regulator. For reasons they wouldn't tell me, the folks at Lysol said no, don't use their disinfectant on SCUBA gear...so i guess I'll start carrying a big bottle of cheap Vodka to disinfect shared gear. Might make me the popular guy, huh?

All very good points. I have adamantly avoided using the “community” rinse bucket for years, but a couple of days prior to my sore throat I reluctantly handed my mask to another diver to be dunked. Coincidence? Unfortunately I was completely geared up at the time and unable to reach down and rinse my mask off the side of the boat. I should have just flooded it when I hit the water as I have done many times in the past, but I was lazy.

We purchased all new gear immediately after OW training for many reasons, but NOT having to use a rental reg was a huge motivator. Our first OW dive trip was down in the Keys. On day one I got seasick during the surface interval. The owner of the dive op said the best thing to do is get back in the water for that second dive. He was right of course. He said it’s not a problem to throw up in your reg if you have to! Fortunately it didn’t come to that. Later I was talking to him about regulator maintenance and he told me a story about a second stage that was malfunctioning. He said he opened it up and found a piece of ham! Enough said.

We went to St .Vincent last month. Three days after returning home I was at work and over a few hours, felt like I was hit by a mac truck. After getting the nasal swab(which really was comparable to getting a lobotomy), I was confirmed positive for the flu. The urgent care doctor told me that the airline seat buckles, tray tables and back seat pockets are worse than that of the toilet. I was miserable for a good week. FWIW, I did get the flu shot. I will follow @chillyinCanada's advise and travel with N95 mask.

All very good points. I have adamantly avoided using the “community” rinse bucket for years, but a couple of days prior to my sore throat I reluctantly handed my mask to another diver to be dunked. Coincidence? Unfortunately I was completely geared up at the time and unable to reach down and rinse my mask off the side of the boat. I should have just flooded it when I hit the water as I have done many times in the past, but I was lazy.

We purchased all new gear immediately after OW training for many reasons, but NOT having to use a rental reg was a huge motivator. Our first OW dive trip was down in the Keys. On day one I got seasick during the surface interval. The owner of the dive op said the best thing to do is get back in the water for that second dive. He was right of course. He said it’s not a problem to throw up in your reg if you have to! Fortunately it didn’t come to that. Later I was talking to him about regulator maintenance and he told me a story about a second stage that was malfunctioning. He said he opened it up and found a piece of ham! Enough said.

Ack, I might be sick!:vomit:

We went to St .Vincent last month. Three days after returning home I was at work and over a few hours, felt like I was hit by a mac truck. After getting the nasal swab(which really was comparable to getting a lobotomy), I was confirmed positive for the flu. The urgent care doctor told me that the airline seat buckles, tray tables and back seat pockets are worse than that of the toilet. I was miserable for a good week. FWIW, I did get the flu shot. I will follow @chillyinCanada's advise and travel with N95 mask.
Seeing your post I am reminded that almost everyone that describes the onset of flu with a truck uses the Mack truck example. And yes, the swab can be...intense.

The shot is far from perfect but short of complete isolation its the best preventative we have. I also think there is some added benefit to getting the shot year after year but that just my opinion.

Oddly enough despite 20 years of almost daily inoculations from sick individuals during flu season, I have yet to be diagnosed with the flu. And yes, I get my shot every year.

Happy trails. Which way to the lavatory?

1F36AEA5-406B-4955-9FBC-C4DD4957F757.jpeg

I think you are sick, not suffering from a dci. Getting sick on or just after returning from vacation is quite common.
I got some kind of a bug 2 years ago. 2 weeks after returning from the Caribbean, I had developed the following symptoms:
1. High fever in attacks, on and off.
2. Low blood pressure, down to 80/45 with very high pulse, up to 120
3. Stomach pain in no specific place, here and there.
After 3 days my wife finally kicked me out into emergency where we spent 6 hrs while they ran all kinds of tests. The outcome was the diagnosis of "an unknown viral infection" and a bill for about $13K (which we negotiated down to $3.5K later). At least, they gave me a painkiller and some muscle relaxant, so the next morning fever and stomach pain were gone. The low blood pressure/high pulse combo stayed for couple more days, though. I lay flat and even at the easyest move, like turning myself on the other side, my pulse would jump up to 140. After these symptoms were gone, I had dry cough for couple days, then finally recovered. I had no skin rush so it's unlikely this was Dengue, but definitely some tropical sh$t.

I used to get brutal flu every winter until I started getting the flu shot. Since then, whilst I've had some flu, it was a one off from something going around Egypt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom