Flower Gardens water temp in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Illini_Fan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In my various trips with the Fling and Spree, I've never managed to dive the FG during April time frame. I'm tentatively planning a weekend in April (probably the 28th/29th, but potentially the 14th/15th).

Does anyone have the typical water temp for the West/East Banks and/or Stetson during previous Aprils?

Also, if anyone is heading down to FG from the DFW area and wants to carpool that might help me decide what weekend to select.

Tom

No one has answered so I'll post. Almost all records indicate between 68-77*F. When we used to go I'd wear a 3mm suit, but I was 25 and poor!

I think I have been out once or twice in April. Mid to higher 60's may not sound that cold but when you do 5 dives that first day to 80 - 100 ft. it wears on you. I am fairly warm blooded but added a 5mm hooded vest to my 5mm suit and still was a bit cold after a few dives. It would be pretty hard to have too much thermal protection out there. And Stetson will probably be a couple degrees cooler.

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember doing a trip in? March? Many years ago. Gearing up for the night dive (probably 4th dive of the day) was miserable. Being in and out of wet neoprene all day when the water is cool and the air is cold can really drop your core temperature.

That was also the trip where the weather got ugly late Saturday night, and the boat slowly headed for home negotiating 10 foot waves.Nearly got thrown out of the bunk several times.

The Hammerheads were neat though!

If I did it again at that time of year it would be drysuit only.

There ain't no way it's gonna be 77 degrees there in April! And the odds of getting blown out in April are quite high as well, good luck!

I remember doing a trip in? March? Many years ago. Gearing up for the night dive (probably 4th dive of the day) was miserable. Being in and out of wet neoprene all day when the water is cool and the air is cold can really drop your core temperature.

That was also the trip where the weather got ugly late Saturday night, and the boat slowly headed for home negotiating 10 foot waves.Nearly got thrown out of the bunk several times.

The Hammerheads were neat though!

If I did it again at that time of year it would be drysuit only.

We still tell the story of that trip. That was the last time I ever captained the Fling, with Captain John, and Captain Randy and Captain Dave were on the Spree. It was weekend after Easter weekend and the owner was in Florida fishing, and his wife never bothered to tell us that a Texas blue norther had crossed the coast. Never seen so many hammerheads ever in 12 years of running hammerhead trips. Easily hundreds and maybe thousands. You were generous to say 10 foot waves, the 42019 buoy had wave height at 14 feet, I estimated 16. Took us 16 hours to go 100 miles. Worst dive trip of my life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom