Flower Gardens on the Spree- March 15-16th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My statement that it is cheaper to take a cruise than the FG trip remains correct. Now, if you want to go diving then you will have to add on your diving fees which are not that much (to me).

Hey, experienced FG divers....

I'm looking to make a run down there this year, but I have some questions:

The two-day rate seems pretty fair. How many dives per day can you get in? I've heard upwards of 5 (if you want to).

Also, is a four-day trip to FG worth it? It's almost a grand, and I bet after 4 days you are ready to get off that ship.

Finally, when is the best time to go? I like to see big fish, and would love to see a whale shark. Also, the coral spawn looks cool. Any opinions?

Thanks a ton.

SteveDiver:
<SNIP>Itinerary Galveston, TX ; Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico ; Cozumel, Mexico ; Galveston, TX

M/V Fling Saturday/Sunday $445.00

You may want to re-check that diving in Progreso, it's nowhere near Playa Del Carmen. Progreso is right next to the city of Merida on the Northern Yucatan. Playa Del carmen is about 240 miles from Progreso. I am pretty sure Tank Ha will not be picking you up and returning you to the ship with diving in one day. So now you are diving one day on a 5 day cruise. With port times of 8-4 you may get lucky and squeeze in 3 dives if you can find a boat that will cater to you like that.
You are just not comparing the two correctly, don't get bent out of shape. :wink:

Debraw:
You may want to re-check that diving in Progreso, it's nowhere near Playa Del Carmen. Progreso is right next to the city of Merida on the Northern Yucatan. Playa Del carmen is about 240 miles from Progreso. I am pretty sure Tank Ha will not be picking you up and returning you to the ship with diving in one day. So now you are diving one day on a 5 day cruise. With port times of 8-4 you may get lucky and squeeze in 3 dives if you can find a boat that will cater to you like that.
You are just not comparing the two correctly, don't get bent out of shape. :wink:

Your right! I am a little bent right now...I was wondering why tank ha never emailed me back??? LOL.. Alison did though from Cozumel.. I am really going just for the halloween party and to dive with Alison. What port was I at when I went diving in PDC? I am confused now.... What do you think of the Barcelona trip I booked? not bad huh?

Well seeing is how you have changed and edited your posts within the last few minutes I can now see you are not ready for a fair debate. You are not comparing the two correctly. You will only get 2 dives, maybe 3 and we will get 7.

$549 plus the taxes and fees, and airfare comes out to be about $1100?? Or So??? for 13 days. I would say that is an excellent rate for cabin, food and entertainment. I am planning a Russian cruise this summer 10 days, but way over my normal budget. No diving just sightseeing and relaxation.

Take the Spree to the Gardens; it's been recently refitted with larger accomidations and all the nitrox that you can handle. I"m going to make my anual visit on their "Tech Trip" in September.

You will have to excuse me Debraw regarding my error (if you ever met me you would understand) LOL....Have fun on your Russian cruise! we were going to go but 9-11 hit and we cancelled. Let me know how it is.

BIGG_BUDD:
Hey, experienced FG divers....

I'm looking to make a run down there this year, but I have some questions:

The two-day rate seems pretty fair. How many dives per day can you get in? I've heard upwards of 5 (if you want to).

Also, is a four-day trip to FG worth it? It's almost a grand, and I bet after 4 days you are ready to get off that ship.

Finally, when is the best time to go? I like to see big fish, and would love to see a whale shark. Also, the coral spawn looks cool. Any opinions?

Thanks a ton.

The two day trip is seven dives. 5 the first day with the possibility of doing a rig dive (no guarantee) and two dives on Stetson the second day.

If I recall correctly the three day is 11 dives. 5 the first 4 the second and two the third. The best time to go for good weather and a strong chance of going is July/August. I am leading a trip for Adventure Scuba in June on the Fling.

Is it worth it is a big opinion question. I think it is. 7 dives and essentially all you can eat food. Ok the sleeping quarters are cozy, but when you're that worn out from diving, does it really matter?

TwoBit

Thanks TwoBit. I think we're considering an August trip.

One important question: do they have alcohol for the evening surface interval? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom