Flower Gardens -- Nitrox or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello fellow Texans,

What do most people dive out at the Flower Gardens? I'm nitrox certified and don't mind the cost, but the first dive (capped at 120ft apparently) is a little deep for even EAN32. Any previous experiences or suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

can you get 30% mixed? good down to 120, and your EAD will be 103
(110 if you're doing tables)

If you are diving with Gulf Diving (Spree or Fling) the 'only' way is Nitrox!! With the 7 dive limit on a 2 night trip the dive profiles are great for the extended bottom time and safety factor. Nitrox!!

Thanks yall -- I can't get 30 mixed, so i'm stuck with either 32 or air. What do most people do about the first dive texdiveguy -- just keep it shallower than the 130ft on their website? I'm fine staying below 100ft, but I don't want my buddy to get stuck diving my nitrox profile...

Scott

You would have to try really hard to get to 120 at the flower gardens,the reef there is at 70 to 80 feet. Stetson on the second day has greater depths easily available but you really dont miss anything by staying above 110. Nitrox works great for these trips

Hi Ian,

With boat required 2-1/2 hr surface intervals, you could get by with air and be within acceptable pressure groups for the 70-100 foot dives that the Banks offers for scenic recreational diving.

Some say that you feel better after so many dives doing nitrox with regard to fatigue and headache and I have to agree with them.

lundysd:
Hello fellow Texans,

What do most people dive out at the Flower Gardens? I'm nitrox certified and don't mind the cost, but the first dive (capped at 120ft apparently) is a little deep for even EAN32. Any previous experiences or suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

The cost is barely a factor if you go for the "all nitrox" fee rather than paying for each fill. EAN 32 has a recreational max depth of 110, so you can get close enough to see whatever is at 120. Most everything is less than 100 ft. depth, and at the Gardens nothing is shallower than 70 (except the oil rigs), so Nitrox is definitely the way to go for repetitive dives and max bottom time. Nitrox was practically designed for this type of dive trip!

Have fun, I know you will,

theskull

larrandall:
Hi Ian,

With boat required 2-1/2 hr surface intervals, you could get by with air and be within acceptable pressure groups for the 70-100 foot dives that the Banks offers for scenic recreational diving.

Yes you can do these dives OK on air.Have done so several times myself. If you have a larger tank(e.g. steel 95) and a decent SAC rate nitrox will allow you to have longer dives.

The other thing to remember is that the Flower Gardens are 100 miles offshore and a bad place to get bent. I tend to be conservative out there........

I can't say enough about diving nitrox in the Flower Gardens. Your buddy won't be stuck diving your Nitrox profile because there is a 90% chance he will be diving nitrox also. When you are 110 miles offshore and your only activity is repetitive deep diving, nitrox is the only way to go. I was with a woman last year who was on air while my husband and I dove Nitrox. She hung with us as long as she could and tried to stay above us at 70 feet while we were between 80 and 90 feet. We would typically do 45-55 minute dives and she really tried to hang. Well that cost her. She ended up in deco at one point. She did get out of it and did not get bent on the trip. Same trip we watched a lady get helicoptered off of an oil rig from our boat because she had a type 1 DCS hit. Yes, she was on air, and it was only the third dive of the day. Try it, it's a gas man!!!!!

I just returned from a dive trip on the M/V Fling on Friday. This was my first FG trip and was pondering the same question. I must say that I am glad that I dove nitrox. My friends that dove air were much more fatigued than I was at the end. Also you have the added bonus of not having to lug a tank to the boat. I say go for it!!

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom