Flower Gardens for Novices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thom_Piper

Reaction score
Sorry, as a newbie, I originally posted this in the wrong forum.

I would like to dive the Flower Gardens with either the MV Spree or Fling this October or November. My buddy and I are novice divers and newly certified (this summer in Cayman) but are fit and strong swimmers. I have read that this dive is only for advanced divers but I have also heard from others that novice is fine as long as I will be hones with myself about my abilities, skills etc. Advice?
:confused:

I'm surprised nobody replied to your questions on the Flower Gardens. Never been there so I can't help you out.

I suggest that you make your inquiries at the Texas Swampsters forum. They have been very helpful when I had questions.

Good luck, Beth

PS: Welcome to diving and to ScubaBoard

Thom_Piper once bubbled...
Sorry, as a newbie, I originally posted this in the wrong forum.

I would like to dive the Flower Gardens with either the MV Spree or Fling this October or November. My buddy and I are novice divers and newly certified (this summer in Cayman) but are fit and strong swimmers. I have read that this dive is only for advanced divers but I have also heard from others that novice is fine as long as I will be hones with myself about my abilities, skills etc. Advice?
:confused:

You heard correctly, the Flower Gardens aren't for novices. It's 100 nmi. offshore and that's no place to have an emergency! Some of the charters are beginning to require Adv. certifications to go. But since most of the trips are scheduled through dive shops only, their only interest is in selling the spot. I have seen new divers out there who never should have been allowed.

You'll be diving in the Gulf. Conditions can and will change very quickly. The currents are usually considered moderate. And this time of year you have raging storms to deal with that can pop up after you get out there. Since it take 8+hrs to get out that far in good conditions, coming back in with high seas is alot worse.

You need to have good navigations skills and understand how to navigate in the open ocean. It's not the same as the simple out and back you did in class. You need to be in control of your bouyancy and able to make your safety stops. The reefs start at 75ft at the FG so you need to be comfortable in deeper water. You need the strength to swim against a current if needed and to pull yourself to and down the anchor line against a current. And even in 2-3ft seas, which is normal, you'll need to get back on a rocking/rolling boat. You won't win an arguement with the ladder! Being strong swimmers will help but there is so much more to it than that. I haven't even mentioned the seasickness or trying to sleep in small bunks on a rolling boat. Being on a dive boat in the Caribbean is no comparison to being 100nmi. offshore where the motion never stops and it can be hard to get much needed rest.

I'm not trying to tell you that you can't or shouldn't go. But over the years I have seen so many novice divers who were told by the dive shop (and other divers) how simply great the trips were, paid their money, and at the very least were sick the whole time. Yes, there are times when the seas are flat as a pancake and the diving as easy as falling off a six-pak boat in Cozumel but it's rare.

If you feel like you can be honest enough with yourself to skip a dive when you are ill, fatigued, and just not prepared then that's a call only you can make. But my honest, experienced opinion would be to wait. In the spring, make some one day trips out to the oil rigs 30-60nmi. out and learn to dive the conditions. Then in July, August and the first two weeks of September, get on a trip to the FG when the conditions are the most dependable.

Just my 2¢ worth

Dee,

Your description of the Flower Gardens trips was excellent. I'm going to print it out and carry in my pocket to hand to folks when they ask about diving the Gardens.

However, it does make me want to do it again and again.

DSAO,
Larry

I'm concerned you are looking for confirmation that you can go and all will be just fine. There were a number of other replies on your first post that said essentially what Dee said. I encourage you to listen to what has been said and take it into consideration. The final decision is yours.

Best wishes to you on your diving future.

TwoBit

P.S. Even the Flower Gardens web site says its an advanced dive.

So, what did you decide? After reading what Dee wrote, are you still planning on going?

Actually, I accidentally posted this questions twice - the first time in the wrong geographic area - and already had it answered.

I read on the SeaSearcher II web site and the FG site that this was for divers with AOW certification, but some posts on another board and the people who work in the dive shops that book these trips said that they would not hesitate to go as or send novices.

While I have been on small boats in high seas, and have a reasonable amount of confidence I could make the dive, I really want to enjoy this trip rather than struggle with new skills or fears. I don't think I'm ready to do this trip yet. Besides, I will need to fly to Houston and don't want to deal with the cancellation rate.

In any case, thanks to everybody for the information. I'm going to get some more dives in when I am in the keys next month. Perhaps with a bit more experience I can plan on the Flower Gardens next summer.

Dee once bubbled...

You need the strength to swim against a current if needed and to pull yourself to and down the anchor line against a current. And even in 2-3ft seas, which is normal, you'll need to get back on a rocking/rolling boat. You won't win an arguement with the ladder! Being strong swimmers will help but there is so much more to it than that. I haven't even mentioned the seasickness or trying to sleep in small bunks on a rolling boat. Being on a dive boat in the Caribbean is no comparison to being 100nmi. offshore where the motion never stops and it can be hard to get much needed rest.

Dee is not joking....I went to the Flowers Gardens in August on the SeaSearcher II, with TwoBitTxn among the group with me. I had 11 previous ocean dives before this, but they were all like diving in a swimming pool compared with the Gulf. I've never been in any kind of water even remotely similar to what we experienced there. Out of a possible eight dives, I got to do one. I was seasick for the first time in my life, the waves battered me like a tackling dummy, and the ladder broke my camera. I'm not trying to discourage you or scare you, but that's just what my experience was. I may do the FG trip again someday, but it won't be anytime soon. Whatever you decide, best of luck!

When I did Flower Gardens as an AOW diver with less than 10 post-cert dives logged, I had a wonderful time. I sat out one dive after the previous dive at that location convinced me that the current was too strong for me, but other than that I had a wonderful time. It's open ocean... so take Bonine daily and don't worry about the seasickness. The only people who got motion sick on my trip were the ones who "didn't get seasick" and didn't take precautionary medicine.

The dives are deep, but the surface intervals are long. I was able to enjoy 3-4 dives per day breathing air and using tables with no computer. My buddy and I were the last in and first out, but it was fabulous!

As for sleeping in a small bunk on a rolling boat, I guess that must be an individual issue... personally, rocking to sleep knocks me out cold and I sleep like a baby.

The crew was friendly and saftey-conscious, taking note of each diver's time in, time out, and max depth, and asking if each of us felt good after being out for a half hour or so.

I absolutely recommend signing up for a trip for next year, but as always remember to dive within your limitations, be smart, and don't hesitate to call off a dive if you aren't comfortable with it. As it turns out, a diver from the other boat had a heart attack and died while swimming against the current at 75 fsw during the dive I chose to sit out.

100 nautical miles is a LONG way from the nearest hospital, so don't take chances out there.

Back
Top Bottom