Flower Gardens first timer - any info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hsalc reminded me about the dreaded Skeeters - I cannot remember them bieng any worse - ever. When you are docked and the sun goes down the skeeters will actually try and drag you off the boat. I had one take my lunch money!!! A bunch stoewd away and made it out to 110 miles we stirred them up when we geared up.

You can check the capt's report for what they are seeing it is under the "Trip Report" tab.

Spree Expeditions Online Booking Service

The stinging "Demon Spawn from Hell" is a type of Hydroid - I believe that it is a Siphonophorae or Siphonophora - imagine a jellyfish with out the bowl of jelly on top. It is clear and thin as thread. They can be tiny pieces or up to about four feet (in my experience) they sting like a jellyfish but it only stings for about a minute or so once you get it off. They will be floating in the water column and tend to get caught on the mooring line and down lines so they can get on your hand and if you rub your face it can be bothersome. Like I said they are more of a nusance than a problem. I just slid my gloved hand up the line as I swam up and removed them from the down lines. If you know that you are sensitive to stings then bring some Benadryl or whatever you use just inn case. One person on the boat got one caught across her forehead and it left a red mark for about a day and a half. Wear a skin and gloves and you should be good to go. I wore a long sleeved lycra shirt and board shorts and was good to go.

Siphonophores: Colony of polymorphic individuals in the form of a chain, some species exceeding 100 feet in length, but usually only a few inches long. Consists of one or more swimming bells (nectophores), feeding individuals (gastrozooids), protective individuals (dactylozooids), reproductive individuals (gonozooids) and leaf-like, usually transparent bracts. Some with an apical gas-filled float. Long tentacles, which may be difficult to see, that often have a potent sting. Predators on zooplankton and fish larvae.

I really have no idea what the little suckers are - the above is an educated guess from bieng up close and personal with them dozens of times. I believe that CP (One of the Spree DMs) came up with the nick name. Hopefully someone who knows what they are can verify or help define wha they are.

I Just returned from a trip on the Spree last week and had the time of my life. :D

1. Bring some bug repellent and put it on before you get to the boat...trust me, the mesquites are terrible at the dock.

2. Bring some sweats it is cool in the cabin

3. Yes there is an analyzer on the boat and a log.

4. Bring a wetsuit there is a lot of "Demon Spawn" as frank and the crew called it. It looks like an eyeball with a six to twelve inch snot floating in the water. I was stung on the cheek. I didn't feel to much pain as I have a high tolerance to pain, other said it was equivalent to a bee sting???

5. Bring a camera if you have one the sights and fish are awesome.

6. Self medicate if you get seasick the day before. I get sick in a car even with bomine, dramamine etc. Went on snivel call (sick call) and the doc prescribed the patch behind (scopamine?) the ear..It worked wonders from me as I didn't get sick by the slightest. :D

7. There was no fuel surcharge but be safe and check with before you head out, just in case.

8. Enjoy your trip, the crew in my opinion were the best, and very professional. Don't forgett to tip that's how the crew get paid.

Oh yeah, don't forget to take cash and tip the crew. The captains are the only ones getting paid. The rest work for tips and a few dives.

No fuel surcharge unless fuel goes back above $4.00. Not too likely as we have about 16,000 gallons in the big tank on the dock.

Frank

Thanks for all the info ... lots of good stuff. Had no IDEA about the skeeters!!!

And yes, I will be sure to tip everyone... being a newbie DM, I understand the hard work they do.

Now I just hope IKE heads either north or south so we can make the trip.... ugggg.

Tips are shared, you put money in a common tip jar at the end. Not to say you can't do sumpin' special for someone but the crew works as a team and is rewarded as a team.

Heading out to the Flower Gardens in 2 weeks.... this will be my first time out there. Any infomation I need to know?? Any do's and dont's?

Going on the MV Spree and diving Nitrox.. do they have oxy analyzers on board?.. also haven't been able to find out how much the fuel surchage is. Anyone know?

After today's chain of events weather wise, hate to say this but your 'dilemma' may be solved IF Ike decides on Freeport......good luck to ALL, including us in SW La......

www.crownweather.com
]
EDIT:---(the next morning)---looks like Ike is heading farther south, maybe CC???...again, good luck to all.....

EDIT II:---(that evening)---now back more north(of CC).......He's got a mind of his own, lol.....again good luck to all, including us in SW La........

Last edited:
I am heading to the Flower Gardens for the first time for 10-4/5. Hopefully none of Ike's buddies will spoil the trip...

I am a real sweet girl - according to the mosquitos at least - so I really appreciate the head's up about the bug spray.

I think I may rent some gloves too - the Devil Spawn is another good warning...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom