Flower Gardens first timer - any info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading out to the Flower Gardens in 2 weeks.... this will be my first time out there. Any infomation I need to know?? Any do's and dont's?

Going on the MV Spree and diving Nitrox.. do they have oxy analyzers on board?.. also haven't been able to find out how much the fuel surchage is. Anyone know?

You might want to do a quick search here on the boards for similar threads (yours is an often-asked question). The answers you find there will be extremely useful, though many of us here will be glad to answer any questions left over.

But for now, I'll just say this...What do you absolutely need to know?
Watch out for hurricanes. They have a bad habit of running the Fling and Spree right off the Gulf. My last trip out there was terminated by Hurricane Dolly. (sigh)

Heading out to the Flower Gardens in 2 weeks.... this will be my first time out there. Any infomation I need to know?? Any do's and dont's?

Going on the MV Spree and diving Nitrox.. do they have oxy analyzers on board?.. also haven't been able to find out how much the fuel surchage is. Anyone know?

What dates? You may be on my boat.

Yes, do a search for Flower Gardens tips. There is more info than I can recall or type now. There is also a lot of info on the websites for the boats. In general, make sure your gear is working well, make sure you have everything you need, take your sea sickness meds, get ready to live in a confined space under spartan conditions for 2 or 3 days, take a refresher this weekend if it's been awhile, get ready to have fun.

Yes, they have an analyzer on board and they make you analyze and log it.

There are two anayzers on board just in case one goes down. They fill using a membrane system so the mixes are consistantly right at 32%. As Hound said you will verify and log each fill - which is a good practice all the time...

Be ready to dive in current there may be none or it may be ripping no big deal if it is - the lines that are set will allow you to pull your way to the bottom where the current is usually better. Dont worry too much just because the currents are almost always diveable just be on top of things so you dont get blown off the lines. They wont let you jump if it is unsafe.

If you dont use a wetsuit bring a skin or something - the "demon spawn from hell" is flaoting around and tend to get all over exposed skin while making safety stop. The sting is more of a nusance unles your skin is sensitive and there is vinegar and tenderizer on board just in case.

If you are prone to getting sea sick start taking your med of choice about a day before just to get it in your system or at least noon on the day that you are leaving (board at 8:30). If you are not sure then I recommend taking it just in case - better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it on board. I have seen some miserable folks who got seasick.

You are going to have a blast! - You are going to eat/sleep/dive/repeat and love it. They run a very professional operation.

Great info guys... thanks!! I am going the weekend of the 20/21 of Sept. ReefHound, what shop do you work out of?

I have been on many many fishing and dive boats off the coast of So Calif. where I am from, so I am used to the whole sea sickness routine... but always a good reminder for it.

Oh and I just completed my DM... so this will be the first fun dive where I get to classify myself as a DM... wooohooo!!!

So what is this stuff they talk about as stingy stuff??? Is it some type of jellyfish? or does the coral spawn sting you some how?

yes analyzer on board, have to fill out a sheet every dive you make( for % etc you find)........was out 3 weeks ago & it was $440 per person, no one mentioned anything else owed-had to pay the dive shop several weeks ahead....Take only shorts & tee shirts & really no shoes are necessary(I wore my thong sandles all the time ), try like heck(RUN on the boat) to get a cabin in the middle bottom, one bunk # on one of them is #16-had that one last summer--and another cabin has #32 bunk in it---you'll see what I mean.....Everything they'll explain, and BE SURE & have a good time.....

Oh, one other thing, if you are prone to seasickness, be sure & start taking something before getting on the boat---I've never been sick but 5 or 6 divers were filling the garbage cans pretty good with their 'barf bags'(everyone gets one shortly after boarding the boat) before the 5 mile mark or so...........You'll have a great time & be sure & look @ my post just below on Texas Swamp Divers, have a couple pics & videos you might enjoy......good luck........

EDIT.....if you want more pics & videos of a trip, click on below link....I believe I have 7 albums(1 from this summer's trip-just started uploading them & 6 from summer '07's trip) from there----all have either Flower Gardens or the Fling in their titles(look on the left side in that column with the albums listed)........again, you'll have a great time.........

EDIT II...........OOPS, I was on the Fling(not the Spree) but they are basically the same boat, length wise the same just the cabins are different(fewer divers on the Spree)......So forget about the above cabin numbers----just get one in the middle bottom----ie LESS rocking of the boat felt......Joe.....

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GEAUXtiger/

I DM for GMD but will be there Sept 12/13/14 on my own.

The Spree rescinded their fuel surcharge about 3 weeks ago.

I disagree about taking only shorts and t-shirt, they keep the interior cabin very cool. You'll find a lot of people wearing sweats and jackets inside.

This is important:

Take mosquito repellant. You need to put it on for the wait before they allow you on the boat.

I DM for GMD but will be there Sept 12/13/14 on my own.

The Spree rescinded their fuel surcharge about 3 weeks ago.

I disagree about taking only shorts and t-shirt, they keep the interior cabin very cool. You'll find a lot of people wearing sweats and jackets inside.

I brought some for both trips I made and never wore them, oh well, I guess bring some & be prepared.......In fact, I'm in the wheel house about midnite heading out a few weeks ago & some guest comes in asking if the A/C can be turned down a bit-----everyone was hot below.......The tank filler went & looked, came back & reported it was set on 69........Boat captain said go ahead & set it on 66 & see if that helps.......I went to bed both nites in shorts & a tee shirt & never touched my sweats, tops or bottoms.......Bring some & you'll be set.

As far as the mosquitos, do bring some spray...Again they are there but bearable(did spray but didn't really need to--we carry that stuff in our back pockets though---just in case)........I guess being from the swamps of Louisiana, they don't bother us as bad..:D

...SPREE with Frank/Melanie are the best, you'll have a GREAT time, weather permitting ! (I just got blown out this past weekend by GUSTAV.....sigh! ) ...there's no rental gear aboard, so be self-sufficient with gear/critical spares and make sure all your gear is @ 100%. Bring an SMB, Nitrox C-card. The night you board, you'll get to spend an hour in the galley while Frank/Melanie give the group a very through briefing about the boat and dive operations. They've got a camera 'area' if you're a shutterbug. If you're smart, you'll bring/dive at least 2 computers...and stay hydrated !

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom