Flower Gardens 16-17 Aug 03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssmith87

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone was interested in going with me to the Flower Gardens, on 16-17 Aug. I made the reservations out of Tom's Dive and Ski and I believe they have 4 slots left. Let me know, hope to see some of you there. :mean:

I'm booked into July 5/6 through RKON Divers - and never even thought to invite the board :whack:

On the other hand - I got bad weather 3 reservations in a row last year - IF that continues - we can discuss whether you'ld actually like me to affect your choosen dates!

Don't feel bad. My first trip to the FG was my 13th! Yes....I had 12 trips in a row cancelled because of weather conditions. But that 13th made up for it. Pancake flat seas, very slight currents, viz was down a bit but that was OK because we had 2 Whale Sharks and a big Manta Ray cruise back and forth among us feeding on the plankton that was lowering the viz!

So keep the faith! One of these days you'll get out there and it's gonna be great! The rest of the times when the seas ar 3-4ft, your bunk is flipping you back and forth and breakfast is threatening to appear again, you'll still hang on the that first perfect trip! :wink:

Well lets keep our fingers crossed, this is my 2nd attempt at making this trip. I'm really looking forward to it. Any advice from the Flower Garden Veteran's on what to bring, what not to bring, do's and don't etc., :mean:

Pack your dive gear in mesh or soft bag for the boat...no hard cases. Take what you need, with reasonable back-ups but not everything you own!

Other than your dive gear, take your own pillow and a light blanket/sheet. I assume you're going out on one of the Gulf Diving (Rinn) boats? They provide sheets but I think that's all. You might want to take a book to read, MP3/tape player with headphones, whatever you like for private time in case you want to get away from the crowd.

Seasick meds are always handy.

Have a great time!

I'd also take plenty of dry shirts... I went last thursday/friday and wished i had brought more than 2. They do also have 2 showers on the back deck, so a little soap/shampoo....

I agree with Dee on the pillow -- the ones provided are "airline" quality. they provide blanket and sheet.

definatley take reading material or something, unless you can sleep all day. they enforce a 2 1/2 hour surface interval between dives, so not much to do. They do have a vcr/dvd player in galley, and have no problem with playing whatever you bring.

I got lucky -- 1st attemot to go made it. We had 5 ft seas going out... lots of seasick people. calmed down quite a bit once on location. take meds in advance if you know you may get sick....

Good luck! have fun!

Ok great thanks for the information. Yes in answer to your question I am going out on one of the Rinn boats, they look pretty awesome.

I think I've got everything covered. Already bought extra batteries etc., for my camera's and lights and I've got the Dramamine covered (I figure since we're supposed to board the boat at 9 that Friday night, I'd take one like an hour before) As far as pillows, blankets etc..according to Tom's they provide all of that, but I may take a pillow anyway.

If you guys can think of anything else, let me know. Just as a heads up, I plan on going again in February when the Hammerheads are schooling. Maybe we can make plans and we can all go together. :eek:ut:

I'd reccommend starting the Dramamine or whatever earlier in the day.... Some people say a full 24 hours in advance, but I think that may be overkill...

Ok sounds great, I'll take one the afternoon before I board the boat on Friday night. Thanks. :eek:ut:

How much do these Flower Gardens trips cost?
Do they leave from Freeport/Surfside?
Do the Austin dive shops that book them include ground transport?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom