Florida panhandle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cturtle5

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm teaching open water this weekend at Vortex Springs, but will have some downtime. Any recommendations close by where I can do some diving? Is Cypress Springs closed now? Tanks!

cturtle5:
I'm teaching open water this weekend at Vortex Springs, but will have some downtime. Any recommendations close by where I can do some diving? Is Cypress Springs closed now? Tanks!
Cypress can only be gotten to by canoe and you can't get on any of the land around the spring because it is private property. There are several recent trip reports here in the Conch forum. Vortex will rent you canoes but if they take them for you they will drop you off at a boat ramp that is about 4 miles or so down stream. There is a much closer boat ramp North of Vernon on 277 that you can take the canoe to if you take it yourself.

Morrison spring is down the road on 81 (South of I-10) - it has been flooded quite a bit but the river level is dropping. There are some folks trying to go this weekend, check the Conch trips and happenings forum - there is a thread there.

Here is a pretty active thread about Vortex and Morrison this weekend:

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=936336#post936336post936336

We are diving Vortex and Morrison and just having fun this weekend. Our group - the Hodagg Family - must dive each month of the year to keep our family status. We have the big room in the Grandview Lodge Saturday night and are planning a BBQ. All are welcome to join in. Just something to throw on the grill and some tall tales is all that it takes to keep us happy.

Remember that any entertainment that you find in Ponce de Leon is that which you take with you.

Looking forward to meeting you.....

cturtle5:

Tom Smedley:
...Remember that any entertainment that you find in Ponce de Leon is that which you take with you...
You know, that's not entirely true if you are a people watcher. But then again may be it's too cold this time of year for the local mudball throwing contests of the summer or the intoxicated family feuds over the nightly burnt animal sacrifices :D.

I love Cypress. If you have the time I would make the trip if I were you. The local folk are usually entertaining if you give them a minute or two!

Yep, Cypress is great - with it being closed off to land access, you usually dive the spring by yourself.

Morrison should be clear by this weekend if the rain holds off for just a bit longer.

Tom Smedley:
We are diving Vortex and Morrison and just having fun this weekend. Our group - the Hodagg Family - must dive each month of the year to keep our family status. We have the big room in the Grandview Lodge Saturday night and are planning a BBQ. All are welcome to join in. Just something to throw on the grill and some tall tales is all that it takes to keep us happy.

Remember that any entertainment that you find in Ponce de Leon is that which you take with you.

Looking forward to meeting you.....

HODAGG!! I haven't heard that term since my last "old timers reunion" in WV! In case you don't know what that is, it's a cavers convention at it's more fun than a bucket of eels in your wetsuit. Is that really your name or do you use it for fun?

BTW, a hodagg got a bottle of carbide from me, the booger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom