Florida mid-February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone else going to Florida in mid-february? I'm hoping to do a couple dives in Key Largo...somewhere warm.

What kind of wetsuit do you think I'll need? Remember...I normally dive dry...I like to be warrrmmmm.....:fire:

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
Anyone else going to Florida in mid-february? I'm hoping to do a couple dives in Key Largo...somewhere warm.

What kind of wetsuit do you think I'll need? Remember...I normally dive dry...I like to be warrrmmmm.....:fire:

3 mm will be fine, 5 mm more than plenty.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...

3 mm will be fine, 5 mm more than plenty.

Tom

So, a shell drysuit with 300# undies would be overkill, then, huh?

Seriously, would a 7mm fullsuit be way too much? I don't really feel like buying a 5mm that would be useless 90% of the time for me.

7mm full will be way too much.

I dove Key Largo without a wetsuit. I brought my 7mm shorty and felt it was way too warm.

Seemed like people wore skin suits just to protect their skin from the coral. Shorties are okay but it doesn't protect your knees, which got me.

If I were to do it again, I would just get the lightest skin suit. You'll be plenty warm and not have to worry about scrapes. You can probably use it in cold winter months under your dry suit to keep you super warm here.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

I was thinking of going down there sometime this winter. January was the original plan, but then I would be going down with a non-diving friend. Actually having someone to dive with would be a big plus. So mid-Feb is a potential if the MA vacation week and Mondays are avoided. (or Spectre would kill me for the monday!) So what's the deal with where to dive and stay in South Florida?

Key Largo Florida, mid February, 72 - 76 degrees

What kind of exposure protection does that translate into for you? I can get away with two peice 3mm and a beanie, or a 5/4/3.

I dove with a local last February who was comfortable in a 7 mil with a hooded vest. Two guys on the boat wore drysuits with sweats under them and they were not too warm at all. If you get cold easily, wear lots of neoprene. It can't hurt.

I was in Key Largo last weekend and the bottom temperature was 81 degrees. My 3 mil jumpsuit was fine. It won't be fine in February.

mer once bubbled...
I was thinking of going down there sometime this winter. January was the original plan, but then I would be going down with a non-diving friend. Actually having someone to dive with would be a big plus. So mid-Feb is a potential if the MA vacation week and Mondays are avoided. (or Spectre would kill me for the monday!) So what's the deal with where to dive and stay in South Florida?

I'm heading to Bonaire in Jan (11-18), and there were still openings last I heard. But it's for a week, so you'd have to miss one Monday. Decisions, decisions... :wink:

-Roman.

Back
Top Bottom