Florida Keys Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I will be visiting the Keys (undetermined location as of yet, read on) and we are looking for easy diving access to fairly shallow water. we only have OW with 20 or 30 dives so looking to stay shallower than 60 feet. We don't really care what we see as long as it fun.

so, It seems that there are lots of dive operations in the area so tanks etc are not hard but what is the best source of info for dive sites. Will we need to book trips on boats or should we plan to beach dive (prefered).

Also, we will be staying for about 4 nights and need a recomendation for a hotel or an island(s) to stay on.

ok, if that isn't about the most open ended question ever...

maybe somebody could recomend a guidebook or something instead.

THANKS SO MUCH,

-LOST AND CONFUSED SOCAL KELP KRAWLER...

charter boats, yes....shore dives, no....find yourself a good operation between Key Largo and Marathon...most of them are good and will be very accomodating..calll them ahead with any specific questions and also search for other threads on this board...there are tons of recommendations for good operators...my personal faves include Ocean Divers, Conch Republic, and Key Dives, but there are many others as well....truthfully, I haven't run into a bad one yet....good luck and enjoy your trip!!!

Cody,
First sign up for a free copy of Florida's scuba news!
www.scubanews.com
see the Florida keys Tourist info site as they will send you stuff,
Third for sure check out the Pennekamp park in Largo,
http://www.pennekamppark.com/
they do some real easy fun dives on nice reef areas-real easy real fun! and don't forget to feed the squirrels!!!-Ah I did not say that my son did as they will swarm your picnic!
Third do a boat dive with a opp in Largo or mid Keys that is not running to a wreck,let em know your new and like a easy trip,If they cant help I am sure a conch will let you know of some that do as fuel is high so reef dives are close!
The beach dive thing err unless your with a local not a great Idea,beaches are more like rocks in the Keys,and you Will see not much unless your in the right area.and the Keys can have some weird currents in some areas and not a good thing for new divers.
Man you will have a BLAST!
I am down real soon!
Brad

The only beach diving exists up here in Broward County, there is none at all in the Keys. Well...none worth the cost of a tank fill, at least. Look through the old threads here and you will find dozens of posts that recommend great Keys charters, restaurants, and motels. Enjoy your trip!

moneysavr:
Cody,
First sign up for a free copy of Florida's scuba news!
www.scubanews.com

What is the deal with scuba web sites. This one isn't working either (or at least gives errors on every other page).
Is it just me or does it seem like scuba web sites host their servers under water??:huh:

I have the same desire to go diving soon in the keys.. so looking for the same answers.

:thinkingo

If you are looking for information on various dive sites, Silent World does have a link on their page that will give you some info on quite a few (www.silentworldkeylargo.com). We also also packages with some of the area hotels (as do most dive shops)

That being said---if you are looking for shore diving, Key Largo is NOT the place to be! Even in Pennekamp Park, there is no shore diving. There is man-made beach to snorkel from.......but I can't imagine scuba diving from it.

Find a shop that fits your personality and needs and have a great time in The Keys!

Pat

thanks everybody. sorry for posting such an open ended deal there.

So, the last question, would it be best to stay somewhere in the middle and explore the whole thing or is one end more perfered?

We've had people stay in the Upper Keys, (Key Largo/Tavernier/Islamorada) and do day trips down to Key West. Remember it's some 90 miles to Key West and it's mostly a two lane highway with max speed limits of 55mph.

It kinda all depends on what you're coming here for. Diving, sightseeing, fishing, or just some relaxation. The Keys has it all. Each part of the Florida Keys has it's own personality which makes it unique.

I know I've danced around your question, but that's about as good of answer as I can think of. Call or email around till you find a shop that fits your style of diving. They will be able to hook you up with either a chain hotel or one of the littler know, but unique lodging places. All in all you're sure to have a great time while here.

Good Diving,

Check out flkeysdiving.com. I prefer the Northern Keys, basically from Key Largo to Islamorada. You will find MANY different reefs and shallow wrecks that you can do without exceeding your comfort zone. I have dived with Quiescence, Conch Republic, and Bluewater. I liked each for different reasons. They are in different locations. Several of the dive operators, like Brent of Bluewater, are active participants on this Board. I try to support them first when I can. Have a great trip.
Tom

I dove with Crystal Clear Charters out of Islamorada last weekend.They have a great boat and great crews.On Sun they took us to a few spots that were in your depth range.We stayed at the Ocean Pointe Suites which were moderately priced and very comfortable.The Hotel was only about 10 mins.from the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom