Florida Keys diving vs. St. Croix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wcwilson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been trying to plan a beach/dive vacation to the Keys, specifically Key Largo. Then I found that there are some flights to St. Croix that are just a tad more expensive ($261 vs. $202) than those to Miami. Can anyone compare the two as far as the quality of the reef diving? (BTW, I am sticking to US territories because my youngest doesn't have a passport yet).

Thanks,

Wayne Wilson
Charlotte, NC

hey there,

can't give you a comparison yet- i will in about two weeks time (I'm heading to St. Croix then)
As for the keys, it is great for diving that is close and easy, but you have to pick your resort carefully if you want family stuff too. There are no beaches in the same way as other carrib islands- the beaches are mostly man-made on the Bay- still good for a family, but you have to pick a resort which specifically has all this ( the Westin has a beach area, but it is small)

You want to make sure there will be other activities for your non- diving family members- remember that for the keys of they want to snorkel it will hav eot be on a boat and will coast around $25 a trip- whereas st. Croix can be done from shore.

good luck with the planning- if you have further keys questions you can Pm me.

If you can pay for me to spend a week in each place, i can assure you i will do my best to dive, dive, dive and give you a report on the highlights of each. :wink:

I will say from what i read/seen that the Keys dont have much if any shore diving as it is all mangroves for a good way out. All the reefs and wrecks are a few miles out, everything is by boat.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually ended up booking a trip to Freeport, Bahamas. I'll see how that goes. I still want to hear about St. Croix.

I'll post a trip report when I get back on weds.:)

Ok- heres my trip report from St. Croix. Bear in mind it was only a very short trip, and during summer (hurricane season).

In asnswer to the original question-st croix vs the keys-I would go for st. croix. Key Largo is great - I always love a trip there, but st. croix has more of a vacation atmosphere, and the reefs seemed to me to be in better condition.

The Hotel: Stayed at the Waves at Cane Bay- great location- walking distance to bars/restuarants. You could also walk to cane bay. The hotel is nice, with a kitchenette to save on food costs, but it is basic-don;t expect luxury. Has an great area to rinse gear, and storage lockers for gear storage. The maangement has changed hands, it is now run by a Russian lady and her daughter. She can provide weights and organize tanks and stuff for rental. We got our tanks through her, but ended up renting elsewehre as we wanted fills when she was not around. I gather it is unusual for people to want to shore dive as much as us!!! But overall, it was a nice place- great to sleep with the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks outside your window.

The Diving:
I only did shore diving-so all comments are for that. I considered taking a boat dive out to the wrecks, but decided to stay at cane bay.
The dive at the waves- also called the Pavillions was too rough for me- would be OK for people from the west coast I am sure, but wave action was a little rough when we were there.
Cane bay has a sloping sandy beach- then out to the wall drop off. The drop-off is supposed ot be 250 yards off shore- I'd say more like 300+ and the waves were quite hard to swim against (maybe due to summer weather patterns) there is also quite a strong longshore drift in the bay which pushes you to the left, so you need to watch you direction on entries and exits. If you get pushed off-side, you have to walk over patches with sea urchins and coral heads- not good or safe. If you are reasonably fit though, it is a great dive- I did it six times- all of which seemed different. Great soft and hard corals- lots of fish life- saw tutles on four dives- three on one dive :) definately a great dive.
The pier needs an update- I am fond of pier dives- but recent construction has made this dive more difficult to access. There is no longer shore access and the local dive shop is not sure the dive will be there for much longer. You have to enter and exit off the pier- which is ok, but a little difficult for the exit. There are three stantions encrusted with coral and containing lots of fish for the small area, but the rest of the rubble and rocks around the peir seems to have been impacted by the constuction- lots of silt, vis was 20 ft at most and there was little life in the rocks. I didn;t catch any seahorses or octopus :(
There are anumber of other sites you can shore dive, which I examined, but some have a reputation for crime, and they looked very remote when I went to see them, and others had a lot of wave action. So as cane bay was so easy and well served, I stayed there.

dive shops- I used Cane Bay dive shop- they were excellent- really nice and helpful - even helped me with a reg. problem. I also went to scuba shack on the other side of the island- also really nice people and a great location for a 'tester' dive offshore.

hope this helps- if I have missed anything, post it up.

I have been to both the keys and st. croix the best is St. croix for reef and beaches a good dive shop is cane bay dive shop, they offer boat and beach dives.

wcwilson:
Hi,

I have been trying to plan a beach/dive vacation to the Keys, specifically Key Largo. Then I found that there are some flights to St. Croix that are just a tad more expensive ($261 vs. $202) than those to Miami. Can anyone compare the two as far as the quality of the reef diving? (BTW, I am sticking to US territories because my youngest doesn't have a passport yet).

Thanks,

Wayne Wilson
Charlotte, NC

I spent 8 days in St Croix a couple years ago, and I thought the diving was great. I did only boat diving, thru a dive shop that is no longer in business, and nmy wife and I had the boat to ourselves 6 out of 7 days. The dive spots were only a few minutes from the dock, and the reefs and walls were very nice. My wife loves turtles, and she was not disappointed - we saw at least 2 on every dive. Many of them came up to you for a "back scratch" and she was in heaven. I have dove the Keys numerous times, but I would choose St Croix any day of the week.

Scott

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom