Florida Keys diving recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobo

Reaction score
Hello all I am heading to FL to go dive the keys, plan was to dive Key Largo for 4 days.. but I thought maybe just 2 and then hit another key, any ideas what other key has good diving? also where to stay and what shop to dive out of??

THX...

IMO, stay in KL and dive there, Tavanier and Islamarada. Florida Keys Dive Center. Greta Op will take you where you want to go.

I agree with the stay in KL, Silent World is a great Op to go with and Brent has a great thing going with Blue Water Divers, but they fill up fast.

Stay at the Hungry Pelican and dive with Silent World. Alternative dive op is Island Ventures. Both are really good dive ops.

So it look like stay in Key Largo area, dont head down to Islamorada or Marathon Key.

There is some great diving in the islamorada area, check out conch republic divers( capt gary is a scubaboard member), i always liked hms minnow in key largo also.

lobo:
So it look like stay in Key Largo area, dont head down to Islamorada or Marathon Key.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. There is great diving also in Marathon, both reef dives at Sombrero and wreck dives on the Thunderbolt. As for shallow reefs, Looe Key Sanctuary down near Big Pine is hard to beat.

Sure there is enough diving in KL to keep you busy, and staying there all 4 days saves a little time in driving and hotel checkout/checkin. But if you want to see more of the Keys and broaden your experience, split it up.

Don't bother diving in Key West.

The best diving in the Keys ain't in KL.Looe Key has more fish density and more chance of a big critter showing up.The Marquesas to Dry Tortugas are even better.KL has more shops and ops but also a lot more diver density.Best accomodations are in KW along with the best resturants.The best deal is renting a house in a nice nieghborhood and either renting or bringing your own boat.KL does have some good deep wrecks.

Key Largo has some great wreck diving but I still say we have better reef down this way. It kinda depends on what you want to do!

Rachel

Oh man I sooooo agree with the Hungry Pelican! I loved that place. I also dove with Silent World. I didnt necessarily like them, but I would dive with them again, just to give them the benefit of the doubt.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom