Florida Foo-fest Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice trip report Foo! My husband has been trying to get me to drive to Florida and do a whole thing down there for a week the last few years. Sounds great! Sorry to hear about your Dive Op experience. Sounds like you all know how to relax for the rest of it! :dazzler1:

Foo,
Oops, my pm must have crossed in the mail, so to speak, with your trip report.Sorry to hear that the LDS on the island let you down. I would have cried from frustration, too, you're not a baby at all. Must dive!! Glad you got to dive Key Largo, though. French Reef is very cool. Sounds like you and your family made the best of it, despite natural and manmade obstacles, and made a new friend in Colin. All good.
I'm beginning to think that between the red tide and the competance of the only dive shop on the island, that maybe my spousal unit and I will leave our gear at home and spend this Saturday on a Marco Island beach.
Re: real estate, my father-in-law and his wonderful wife were lucky enough to have bought their modest house down there 10 years ago, as you noted.
Cheryl M.

Cheryl M.:
Foo,
Oops, my pm must have crossed in the mail, so to speak, with your trip report.Sorry to hear that the LDS on the island let you down. I would have cried from frustration, too, you're not a baby at all. Must dive!! Glad you got to dive Key Largo, though. French Reef is very cool. Sounds like you and your family made the best of it, despite natural and manmade obstacles, and made a new friend in Colin. All good.
I'm beginning to think that between the red tide and the competance of the only dive shop on the island, that maybe my spousal unit and I will leave our gear at home and spend this Saturday on a Marco Island beach.
Re: real estate, my father-in-law and his wonderful wife were lucky enough to have bought their modest house down there 10 years ago, as you noted.
Cheryl M.

Cheryl, since you only have a few days to spend there, I think you're probably making the right decision. If you had a day or two to spare, you could make a Ft. Lauderdale or Upper Keys days trip like we did, but it's at least 2.5-3 hours each direction.

I don't know if your family has access to a private beach, but the public one is really pretty nice and it was uncrowded while we were there. It's called South Beach and is on S. Collier (the main drag.) You park across the street (good signs will direct you) cross the street to walk down a nice pathway to the beach. There are no restrooms, chairs or sun covers available there, however. Take your own, or go in the evening like we did. There is a freshwater shower (maybe just foot shower) though.

The other beach is good for shelling, it's called Tigertail (also public). Take a bag for your goodies (sand dollars there) and be sure and wear shoes, as you will have to cross a rather mucky and yucky lagoon to get to the best shelling. I wore my dive boots, they were perfect. And I looked really cool in them, I'm sure. :wink: I also carried a child's sand rake, to rake through the water so I didn't touch anything icky or stinging. Dive gloves would work, but I didn't have them with me that day. We had fun out there. There are so many hermit crabs on the sand bar, it looks as if the whole beach is pink and in perpetual motion. This beach does have nice bathhouses, a concession, and a nice playground.

Both of these are county parks, and you can pay $4 for your carload, and visit both beaches at much as you want for one day. Pretty decent deal.

Have fun, it's a very nice place to visit, and I would definitely return.

Foo

Glad that the good stuff outweighed the bad, Foo.

Like Andy, I'm sure I would have been highly irregular and a huge PITA had I experienced that sort of frustration and lost diving. That's a long way to go and some vacation time and money spent to be disappointed by someone's mistake.

Still, sounds like you salvaged what could be salvaged, and had a good time in spite of it. Glad the trip wasn't a total loss! (A friend of mine from Seattle went down there for a 5 day dive trip and got completely blown out by Arlene. Didn't get in the ocean once. Now THAT'S a total loss...)

Better luck on your next trip to Florida!

Hi Doc! Happy Birthday yesterday, sorry I missed it. Hope you had a great one!!! I see it was a very special one, Fabulous Fifty- cool. That is sounding younger and younger, the closer I am to that magic age... Congratulations and enjoy this best time of your life!

Foo

Teri,
It was a pleasure metting you and your daughter, just wished the whole family could have been there.

Next time I promise I will have the boat ready and in the water wating for ya, just give me some notice and Colin and myself will take ya'll out for a day of fun.... no red tide, you don't wanna mess with that, already had my first and only run in with it and not gonna happen again.

Can't wait to see ya'll again....

Brian

Well it seems you had fun for most of the trip, twice to Florida in one year, maybe you should buy real-estate here??? The SW coast is just ludicrous, central FL isnt great, but its better than that!

Maybe i'll catch you on your third trip down here this year (what do you mean you dont have plans to come again???)? :wink:

simbrooks:
Maybe i'll catch you on your third trip down here this year (what do you mean you dont have plans to come again???)? :wink:

Hmmm, if I said we don't plan to come again, I only meant we don't have immediate dates and reservations! :wink: We definitely plan to return to Florida, and asap! So, when you coming to Texas,huh?

Foo

Foo,
When you're coming to the Destin area be sure to drop us panhandlers a PM. Lots of SBers in this area are looking for an excuse to do some more diving. Given enough notice I'm sure somebody will be able to jump in the water with you - maybe even me :D. Springs and jetties have been messed up quite a bit this year with all the rain - I'm hoping for better soon!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom