Florida Foo-fest Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How shall I sum up our 7 days in (Marco Island) Florida? How about, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?

The Good:
1. Meeting CBulla, Kbulla, and the babybullas, and Sharkbait. Also, seeing Colin's massive bone was really swell. :14:
2. Being with my family all week, on the beach, eating, diving, talking, watching movies, eating, sleeping, working puzzles, sightseeing, eating, shelling, racing in the pool, shopping, reading, etc. Oh yeah, we ate some great food!
3. Diving in Key Largo was great.
4. We went with Quiessence dive op, and it was just us 3 (my husband, son in law, and me) on a nice, clean boat with Captain Rob. We dove the Benwood wreck and French Reef. Recommend this dive op, they let us dive our air and do our own thing, very nice people.
5. The food at Shrimp Shack in Ft. Myers. Yummmm!
6. Our resort, Angler's Cove was very nice.
7. The weather forced us to be relaxed and chilled out, so for the first time ever, we don't need a vacation to recover from our vacation!

The Bad:
1. Red tide forced Colin to give us an early morning call on our sharks tooth hunting dive date with the bad news that it wasn't going to be safe to dive on Venice. I appreciate that he is a safety-conscious friend who had better sense than to let us chance it. Sorry, Reef-Guy, wish we could have met! Next trip.
2. We bounced into the Marco Island dive shop (ScubaAdventureMarco) on our reservation date, excited to be getting wet again... Imagine our shock when the dive shop part-owner (wife part with deer-in-headlights look) said that her husband was already out with a "group of students." She evidently didn't write us down after we spoke on the phone, and decided on our dive date and time. Guess what, one boat, no diving for YALL. In my opinion, there is no excuse for this level of unprofessionalism. It was our last possible day to dive (due to flight schedules and Arlene,) and they were the only dive shop in town (only ones with a boat anyway.) Nearest diving would have been 3 hours away, too late in the day for that. So, basically, we got screwed. NOTE to diveshop owners out there: WRITE down your reservations. It saves ill-feelings and bad reviews on the internet. I'm sure they are very nice people, but this is really not a good thing to pull. It's most likely that we were saved by divine intervention from an accident or something, given that they didn't even write down our reservation- hope they remembered the air.

The Ugly:
1. Finding out that we're waaaaaay too poor to live in Florida. The land and home prices are...shall we say... ludicrous? Lucky you who bought 10-20 yrs ago, sell and buy a mansion in Texas! :wink:
2. Arlene. 'nuff said.

Overall, we had a wonderful vacation, full of love and life with family and new friends. Thanks again to Colin and Kris for the use of the playpen, it was a lifesaver for my daughter and husband. One-year olds do not sleep well with others. lol. Ready to show off my easy-won fossil sharks teeth, also- didn't even taste any salt water to get these babies! Thanks, C&K!

Foo

Cool. Glad you had a good time despite Arlene, red tide, Colin, and bad reservations. :) Wish I coulda made it over there, maybe next time.

Hey Teri! I am just now getting time enough to sit down and read and reply to posts on SB this week.... It was absolutely fabulous to have met you and your wonderful family and for our families to spend some time together! We're happy that we could share something we had to make yawls stay more enjoyable.. the offer stands for your next visit to FL! Perhaps sometime in the not to distant future we can come out and visit and learn more about where you live to!

I'm glad you found my bone discovery entertaining! :lol: OH.. and remember, those sharks teeth can't be used in dentures... they'll cut your lips! :wink:

Hey... housing market... http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050612/NEWS0106/506120478/1075 -- check that out!!

Scuba_Jenny:
Cool. Glad you had a good time despite Arlene, red tide, Colin, and bad reservations. :) Wish I coulda made it over there, maybe next time.

Oh yeah, the airboat rides were cool, too. I, however, sacrificed and stayed behind with my grandson. :wink: We will definitely be returning to Florida again and again. It's only about a 10 hr drive to Destin from our NE Texas location. My sister lives in New Orleans, so we can visit her on the way to Destin, dive the jetties and northern springs areas, or fly to the southern destinations. We want to dive the Ft. Lauderdale & other east coast destinations, also. So, we hope to meet you all soon!

When is the next Ginnie megadive?

Foo

Foo:
She evidently didn't write us down after we spoke on the phone, and decided on our dive date and time. Guess what, one boat, no diving for YALL.

the sucking quotient on this has got to be a 5 on the hurricane scale... sorry
about that

glad you enjoyed most of the trip, though

Great trip report,,,,,alot of 'THE GOOD' stuff!!!

H2Andy:
the sucking quotient on this has got to be a 5 on the hurricane scale... sorry
about that

glad you enjoyed most of the trip, though

Will you think I'm a baby if I admit that I cried when I got alone in our room at the condo? Just a little. Frustration, mostly, 'cause I was the one who planned the diving, and I felt like I had disappointed everyone by picking a loser. Or maybe it's because I'm a big baby and I really just wanted to DIVE!!! :babycrawl :crying: whaaaaaaaah!!!

Or maybe it was just because I'm a girl. :gorgeous:

Awwwwww....there there now.... :giveusahu

Foo:
Will you think I'm a baby if I admit that I cried when I got alone in our room at the condo?

not a baby at all...

actually, i would have been so frustrated i would have yelled at my wife for
no reason and kicked something...

so ok, yea... we're babies... but we have to express how we feel!

:wink:

I'd have just been totally irritated. It never ceases to amaze me how some businesses manage to even stay in business around here given the ramshackle way they run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom