Florida Divers! Year End Summary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2021 was definitely an off diving year for me due to working out of state for months and then having some heart/health issues where I was actually told by doctors (and DAN) not to dive. (Lower than normal heart ejection fraction due to a previous virus that damaged my heart muscle.)
So, while I usually have at least a handful of dives each month, my logbook shows three (!) dives only during this past year.
One cave dive at Peacock Springs in January 2021 with two usual buddies. One cavern dive with my son at Jug Hole, Ichetucknee Springs on Father's Day, and my third dive the day after Christmas, also at Jug, with my daughter. A 25 minute cavern dive followed by another hour in shallower basin water shooting photos and video for my wife's art project.
Hoping for more dives during 2022...

2021 was definitely an off diving year for me due to working out of state for months and then having some heart/health issues where I was actually told by doctors (and DAN) not to dive. (Lower than normal heart ejection fraction due to a previous virus that damaged my heart muscle.)
So, while I usually have at least a handful of dives each month, my logbook shows three (!) dives only during this past year.
One cave dive at Peacock Springs in January 2021 with two usual buddies. One cavern dive with my son at Jug Hole, Ichetucknee Springs on Father's Day, and my third dive the day after Christmas, also at Jug, with my daughter. A 25 minute cavern dive followed by another hour in shallower basin water shooting photos and video for my wife's art project.
Hoping for more dives during 2022...
i hope you do bettter this year.

I have to review my log
I figure 50/80 dives here in the keys off my boat
I am very choosy on what days I go
Most of those dives were probably on Davis

Dives: 315

235 BHB
12 Bonaire
62 LBTS
2 Dania Beach Erojacks
4 Boynton

Total hours:306

Additionally another 90 hours snorkeling

I always do a REEF fish survey on every dive. Plus I did 116 fish surveys while snorkeling. So a total of 431 REEF fish surveys this year with 328 species being recorded. Since the majority of time was spent at BHB I will do a further breakdown of species highlights on the BHB Troll Thread tomorrow or the next day.

As with 2020 I spent very little time on boats, almost all shore diving.

235 BHB
12 Bonaire
62 LBTS
2 Dania Beach Erojacks
4 Boynton

I always do a REEF fish survey on every dive. Plus I did 116 fish surveys while snorkeling. So a total of 431 REEF fish surveys this year with 328 species being recorded. Since the majority of time was spent at BHB I will do a further breakdown of species highlights on the BHB Troll Thread tomorrow or the next day.

That is a lot of dives bhb
How close are you to the bridge?

I just remembered that I have an old navy buddy who lives in Pompano Beach. Sounds like that's near decent diving and driving distance to the Southern area. I'll have to go visit for a week and pick his brain.

I just remembered that I have an old navy buddy who lives in Pompano Beach. Sounds like that's near decent diving and driving distance to the Southern area. I'll have to go visit for a week and pick his brain.

Good plan. Be sure and dive while you’re here so you know what to expect. Pompano has good shore diving as does LBTS just too the south. All the Palm Beach locations are an easy drive, Pompano & Ft Lauderdale have some nice wrecks & Key Largo is only 2 hrs south.

235 BHB
12 Bonaire
62 LBTS
2 Dania Beach Erojacks
4 Boynton

Awesome! What a year for you! I’m interested in seeing the breakdown after you put it together.

I also didn't get to do as many dives in 2021 as I'd hoped, but isn't that always the case? Lost several to being blown out and mechanical problems with the boat.

Dives: 45
  • 8 in Palm Beach
  • 13 in Pompano Beach
  • 15 in Portobelo, Panama
  • 9 on Lighthouse Reef, Belize
Time underwater: 2576 min = 42.93 hours
Avg Dive Time: 56 min
Deepest Dive: 165 ft on the Miller Lite
Avg Depth: 91'
Longest Dive: 98 min
Memorable Dives:
  • All of the dives at Huracan Dive Lodge on Lighthouse Reef, Belize. Viz well over 100', sharks and eagle rays on nearly every dive!
  • Diving with my Panamanian friends
  • Waiting alone on the surface in 6-8' seas waiting for a pickup after a dive on the Miller Lite
Something I learned: I took the Deep6 service course, so learned how to rebuild a diaphragm reg. Also found out that I was on the boat with @CosbySweater, but didn't know it until later...bummer.

New Dive Gear: Deep6 regs, sharkskin
Hopefully we’ll get to dive together (and actually meet each other) in 2022!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom