Florida Dive Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hospital Hole

Dive Spot:
Hernando County, FL

Type of diving: River/Cavern

Type of diving: Shore Dive or Boat

Directions:
I-75 exit # 301 (Hwy 50 also known as Cortez Blvd in some areas)
Continue West through Brooksville, past Spring Hill, and past U.S. 19 (approx. 30 minutes)
A few miles past U.S 19 turn left on County Rd. 597
In a short distance, turn right on Shoal Line Blvd.
Immediately after crossing the 1st bridge, there's a public swimming area on the left named Roger's Park
Find a parking spot and pay ($5 for daily parking)

What to expect at the dive site: Access to Hospital Hole requires a short swim up the clear waters of the Weekie Wachee River, so you'll need to gear up at the park. Even though boats must travel at idle speed, and it's illegal to have alcohol on the river, still keep an eye out for boaters. Hospital Hole is at the the 2nd bend upstream approx. 100 yards from Roger's Park. Expect to see Manatees and fish throughout the year. Visibility varies from 10' to 30'. The cavern depth is 120' and there's a layer of Hydrogen Sulfide that lies around 70' to 80'. It's a good idea to bring a light with you.

Where to park: Roger's Park. Arrive prior to 11:00 A.M. during Spring and Summer Weekends due to crowds (earlier if you need to park a boat trailer).

Amenities Roger's Park has public restrooms an a sweet artificial beach. Just across from the park, The Upper Deck restaurant has a nice view overlooking the river/park. Food prices are reasonable.

Pros and Cons The site is easily accessible, and other than parking, there are no fees. Boat traffic is minimal and Hospital Hole is located outside of the river channel. It's a secluded spot with very few scuba divers visiting it. There's a buoy attached to a heavy cable that descend the hole. With less than great viz., this spot can be a little spooky, also, if you're going to the cavern bottom, there's an eerie Hydrogen Sulfide layer to contend with.

Most recent date visited: 9/15/2011

GPS Coords: 28.53055°N
82.62324°W

Home Jax Offshore Sport Fishing Club
The Jacksonville Reef Research Team Jax Reef Research Team
Coordinates and histories online as well as in book form.
Lists of most of the hundreds of artificial reefs off Nassau,Duval and St Johns county as well as some natural ledges.Starting in 60' and out to 135' from 6nm to 40 nm offshore.
Temps range from lo 50s in Winter to 80s in late Summer.
Vis averages 20' inshore and 40' offshore but can vary quite a bit due to storms and thermoclines.

Hospital Hole

Dive Spot:
Hernando County, FL

Type of diving: River/Cavern

Type of diving: Shore Dive or Boat

Directions:
I-75 exit # 301 (Hwy 50 also known as Cortez Blvd in some areas)
Continue West through Brooksville, past Spring Hill, and past U.S. 19 (approx. 30 minutes)
A few miles past U.S 19 turn left on County Rd. 597
In a short distance, turn right on Shoal Line Blvd.
Immediately after crossing the 1st bridge, there's a public swimming area on the left named Roger's Park
Find a parking spot and pay ($5 for daily parking)

What to expect at the dive site: Access to Hospital Hole requires a short swim up the clear waters of the Weekie Wachee River, so you'll need to gear up at the park. Even though boats must travel at idle speed, and it's illegal to have alcohol on the river, still keep an eye out for boaters. Hospital Hole is at the the 2nd bend upstream approx. 100 yards from Roger's Park. Expect to see Manatees and fish throughout the year. Visibility varies from 10' to 30'. The cavern depth is 120' and there's a layer of Hydrogen Sulfide that lies around 70' to 80'. It's a good idea to bring a light with you.

Where to park: Roger's Park. Arrive prior to 11:00 A.M. during Spring and Summer Weekends due to crowds (earlier if you need to park a boat trailer).

Amenities Roger's Park has public restrooms an a sweet artificial beach. Just across from the park, The Upper Deck restaurant has a nice view overlooking the river/park. Food prices are reasonable.

Pros and Cons The site is easily accessible, and other than parking, there are no fees. Boat traffic is minimal and Hospital Hole is located outside of the river channel. It's a secluded spot with very few scuba divers visiting it. There's a buoy attached to a heavy cable that descend the hole. With less than great viz., this spot can be a little spooky, also, if you're going to the cavern bottom, there's an eerie Hydrogen Sulfide layer to contend with.

Most recent date visited: 9/15/2011

GPS Coords: 28.53055°N
82.62324°W

We dove this this past weekend. It was my first dive after my OW cert and you are exactly correct, it was pretty spooky haha. The viz was like 10' at times and couldn't see the surface at 50'. Dive buddy went to the bottom @ 116' , we made it down to about 80'. The walls are pretty cool and you can make your mark. I especially liked the one that said " I PEED HERE "

Glad to get a spooky one out of the way though, I feel I can tackle anything now.

Who wants to dive this next weekend!?

We dove this this past weekend. It was my first dive after my OW cert and you are exactly correct, it was pretty spooky haha. The viz was like 10' at times and couldn't see the surface at 50'. Dive buddy went to the bottom @ 116' , we made it down to about 80'. The walls are pretty cool and you can make your mark. I especially liked the one that said " I PEED HERE "

Glad to get a spooky one out of the way though, I feel I can tackle anything now.

Who wants to dive this next weekend!?

That's awesome! A bit of an advanced dive for a newbie, but it sounds like, all went well. I haven't been to this site in awhile: Is there still an cable and buoy attached? Did you smell rotten eggs around 60' -80'? See any Manatees?

Thanks For The Update

The walls are pretty cool and you can make your mark. I especially liked the one that said " I PEED HERE "

I certainly hope you aren't one of the people who think it's cool to "make your mark" on cave walls. That is considered vandalism and if you are stupid enough to put your name on the wall or if someone sees you and turns you in to authorities you will be prosecuted especially in a State Park. No one likes to see or read graffiti on the walls. It detracts from the beauty of the dive site and is plain trashy. Nobody cares about your glory markers or when you were there. You get caught doing that at a real dive site, you will be praying that the authorities get to you first before the divers.

Having been to Hospital Hole on more than one occasion over the years would caution anyone contemplating that dive to be at least advanced open water. As it now sits on state owned land the state discourages any diving activity there. Approximately 2-5 years back there was an accident and and some divers were pulled from the hole. Also that area of the river is fairly populated on the opposing bank.....dont be surprised if the Hernando County Sheriff shows up on jet ski's as thats how I have seen them patrol the river not to mention the the State of Fl FWC. I have kayaked that river from the spring at US19 and Cortez to its end at the Gulf of Mexico.....it can be tricky. Enjoy it, its a beautiful place....but have respect. ...not just for the nature but also remember your are in other people's back yards(almost literally).......

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom