Florida dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sq1309

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I will be in Daytona Beach in the end of September visiting family. We want to get some diving in but I don't think the 3 hr drive to Pompano is going to be an option. Is there any good diving within 1-2 hrs drive from Daytona? Melbourne maybe.

If they're open [TS Debbie] you might want to try Ginnie Springs...Or drive a little further to the west coast and dive the Oriskinay.....

I'd personally recommend driving down to Jupiter if you are willing to drive about 2 1/2 hours.

I agree: I go out with Jupiter Dive Center often and am almost never disappointed with the dives. Last Saturday, we saw roughly a dozen turtles, similar number of goliath grouper and lots of sharks: all on one dive!!!! Scuba Works also has a boat in Jupiter and many SB'ers like that operation too. Both operations send a dive guide down with the divers. The diving is great in the Jupiter/Juno Beach area. Keep in mind that the diving is going to be in the 70-90 foot range: though there are a few places where you can stay on top of the reef at 65 feet too.

I don't know much about the springs but I think there are a couple of them between Daytona and Orlando: here's a link to the state parks that allow diving. Welcome to Florida State Parks

Also, Williston Florida is about 2 hours for Daytona and I have dove the Devil's Den which is a fun sink hole/spring

There are wrecks in Daytona worth diving. And vis is good right now. I'm not sure of your cert or your experience, but I think the Mindanao is in 60'ish feet of water. There is deeper stuff. Blue Springs is near daytona. Alexander Springs is about an hour away. Deleon Springs is less than an hour away.

For ocean diving, Jupiter is about the closest that or West Palm which is a bit farther down. You can dive up near Daytona but I understand that it is a very long boat ride out to the dive sites. So you might as well spend the time driving and get to better diving.

Hi, I'm a PADI Divemaster living in New Smyrna Beach. Here are your options:
1. Sea Dogs Dive Center in New Smyrna Beach runs trips offshore Daytona Beach. It's about 10 miles out to the wrecks but there are several. Somebody already mentioned the Mindanao, there is also a Tug out there called the Thomas H, and the freighters Antilles Star and Rio Yuna. Weather, viz, and water temp can change quickly off Daytona so stay in touch with the shop and pay attention to it. The Jupiter suggestions are also good or just go down to Riviera Beach. It's a straight shot down I-95 so the 3 hour drive isn't that bad. There is plenty of diving down there. If you are OK with spring dives Blue Spring in Orange City only about 30 minutes west of Daytona is good. It's a State Park so you have to get there when they open if you want to get in. It's cheap, pretty, and you might even see a manatee. About an hour west of Daytona is one of my favorites, Paradise Spring. It's actually sort of a cavern dive but there is a line and openwater divers are welcome. About 2 1/2 hours west of Daytona are 40 Fathom Grotto, Blue Grotto, and Devil's Den. Just look all these up on the internet. They are all cool and each has something different. 40 Fathom is a tech training facility so it's a little pricey and you have to have a guide to dive there. About 2 1/2 to 3 hours north is "Cave Country." Ginnie Springs there is openwater friendly and there are a few others there. It's worth experiencing the springs of Florida and you have a lot of options around North Florida. Good Luck! Have Fun! and Happy Diving!

Good advice. Not familiar with N florida offshore but know springs extensively. Blue Grotto, Paradise and Devils Den are about 40 bucks each to dive. Ginnie is about 30 bucks. Alexander isnt worth the walk to the water but Troy and Orange Grove are in state parks and Volusia Blue as stated gets closed before noon due to being filled to capasity and is a long walk to the water just to see a 130 ft deep crack.

September diving in Jupiter is EPIC. The Goliath Grouper aggregation is in full force. You can see upwards of 50 of these 5 ft. long beasts on the wrecks in August and Sept. If you want to dive closer to Daytona, keep in mind that visibility is DRAMATICALLY reduced just north of Jupiter. If you look at Florida on a map, you will see the coast line curve to the west and away from the clear blue waters of the Gulf Stream. If you want consistently clear water conditions, you have to travel at least as far as Jupiter....still considerably closer than Pompano. Anything north of that is rather unpredictable. Check with Scuba Works or Jupiter Dive Center.

Hi, I'm a PADI Divemaster living in New Smyrna Beach. Here are your options:
1. Sea Dogs Dive Center in New Smyrna Beach runs trips offshore Daytona Beach. It's about 10 miles out to the wrecks but there are several. Somebody already mentioned the Mindanao, there is also a Tug out there called the Thomas H, and the freighters Antilles Star and Rio Yuna. Weather, viz, and water temp can change quickly off Daytona so stay in touch with the shop and pay attention to it. The Jupiter suggestions are also good or just go down to Riviera Beach. It's a straight shot down I-95 so the 3 hour drive isn't that bad. There is plenty of diving down there. If you are OK with spring dives Blue Spring in Orange City only about 30 minutes west of Daytona is good. It's a State Park so you have to get there when they open if you want to get in. It's cheap, pretty, and you might even see a manatee. About an hour west of Daytona is one of my favorites, Paradise Spring. It's actually sort of a cavern dive but there is a line and openwater divers are welcome. About 2 1/2 hours west of Daytona are 40 Fathom Grotto, Blue Grotto, and Devil's Den. Just look all these up on the internet. They are all cool and each has something different. 40 Fathom is a tech training facility so it's a little pricey and you have to have a guide to dive there. About 2 1/2 to 3 hours north is "Cave Country." Ginnie Springs there is openwater friendly and there are a few others there. It's worth experiencing the springs of Florida and you have a lot of options around North Florida. Good Luck! Have Fun! and Happy Diving!

Paradise is full on cavern dive. If you silt it out, consider it a cave dive. 40 Fathom is closed until further notice. Ginnie just recently opened back up, but has a green tint to the water. It's not "gin" clear like it normally is.

---------- Post Merged at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Good advice. Not familiar with N florida offshore but know springs extensively. Blue Grotto, Paradise and Devils Den are about 40 bucks each to dive. Ginnie is about 30 bucks. Alexander isnt worth the walk to the water but Troy and Orange Grove are in state parks and Volusia Blue as stated gets closed before noon due to being filled to capasity and is a long walk to the water just to see a 130 ft deep crack.

Stairman you know Orangegrove and Troy are blown. Pfft.

*edit* Ooops, my bad, he said september. Well, Troy and OG will probably still be blown by then, hehe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom