Florida dive charter pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgilkes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

I really enjoy diving offshore (kind of underwhelmed by the springs I've been too) and I'm trying to figure out what's reasonable for dive charter prices as I'm doing my research. The charters here in Jax are between $100-130 for a 3-tank dive trip, not including tanks (extra $30-50). Is that reasonable? I ran into an older gentleman recently who was telling me it was ridiculously overpriced and if I drive down to Pompano Beach, I can do the same for $50-60.

What are some well priced and well operated dive charters throughout Florida? It would be great if they were close to Jax/St. Augustine, but I drive down to Miami a lot (5 hours) so I'm up to make a drive for a good charter!

Thanks in advance!

I think it depends on how far a dive boat has to go to get you the dive site. Here in "Ft. Liquordale" trips are fairly short so paying $65 is what you would expect just for the 2-tank boat ride. Maybe $80-85 for a 3-tank trip. Down in the Keys they are a little more for $70-80 for a 2-tank trip. Most shops down here rent tanks for around $10-15 each for air. EANx will be more of course.

You can close your eyes, throw a stone and hit a decent dive op from Jupiter down to The Keys. It all depends on what you like. Most decent boats will be packed from now until the end of the summer. I love going out during the middle of the week to avoid crowds and dive alone. If you post what you're looking for I can give you some suggestions. Larger boats, six packs, reef, wrecks, shallow or deep, etc.

The charters here in Jax are between $100-130 for a 3-tank dive trip, not including tanks (extra $30-50). Is that reasonable? I ran into an older gentleman recently who was telling me it was ridiculously overpriced and if I drive down to Pompano Beach, I can do the same for $50-60.

Near Pompano, you can do a 2 tank trip for that price of 50-60, not a 3 tank trip, not including rentals.

That's not a bad price for a 3 tank trip. In Palm Beach County, 2 tank trips without tanks run $70-75. Many shops have trip cards in which you prepay for your dives and get extra free trips added. I like Jupiter Dive Center and they have several trip cards that get the average trip cost into the low $60 range

Last edited:
Remember, the guy in Jax doesn't send a boat out every day like the guy in Key West-Pompano does. That boat still has to make money just sitting at the dock. What the op charges compared to an op 10 hours drive away is of no consequence. If you don't want to pay the local price, get in your car, drive to FLL, get on a boat, go diving. But - Don't bitch when you have to take a day coming and going, and you get here and the seas are angry, and the boat is full because you forgot to make a reservation, or the boat doesn't go because not enough people made reservations, but it's nice back home and the boat is running. Comparing the price of dive ops located 500 miles away is a lot like deciding to get Chinese takeout or eating out in Beijing. Or comparing Texas BBQ to North Carolina BBQ. There isn't much comparison. Except in both cases you are eating.

Also keep in mind that the Jax boat needs to run farther offshore (i.e., more fuel burn) to get to a local dive site than a boat in South Florida. South Florida boats can cycle two trips a day because the dive sites are short runs. Not so much for other places in Florida where you are easily running 20nm+ offshore.
And then all the other reasons Wookie mentioned. So when you factor all that in - combined with your time and gas getting to South Florida, is it *really* ridiculously overpriced? No, no it's not.

Or you can compare it to dive ops north of you with 1 to 2 hour boat rides and iffy weather. 2 tank dive trip without tanks runs around 120 to 130.

We pay 65 for 2 tank dive out of WPB not including tanks. Discount given for repetitive diving.

Recently spoke with someone who dove out of West Palm/Riviera Beach $330. plus tip for a couple including equipment. With your own gear, fills. food, tip etc... you can expect it to be a $100 day per person anywhere from Jupiter to Pompano

At Stuart Scuba (www.stuartscuba.com) we charge $65 for a two tank trip out of Jupiter. Rentals will add a little bit to that depending on what you need. A 3 tank trip runs $90

we offer military discounts, first responder discounts, and discounts for several dive clubs.

At Stuart Scuba (www.stuartscuba.com) we charge $65 for a two tank trip out of Jupiter. Rentals will add a little bit to that depending on what you need. A 3 tank trip runs $90

we offer military discounts, first responder discounts, and discounts for several dive clubs.

Dove with Stuart Scuba earlier this month. First class operation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom