Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not referencing the OP, but felt the need to share an example I have seen.

At a local site with a new technical yet very experienced diver(instructor trainer with thousands of dives). On the surface, we had a few discussions about his floaty feet and what could be done about them. Having never dove with him, I decided to tag along for his normoxic checkout dive. I was surprised to see him swimming at about a 80 degree angle head up given all the talk about floaty feet. Some people just feel like they are upside down when in trim. I diplomatically recommended to him he use the mirror I have installed at the site to work on his "floaty feet".

Hollis F1s are strong and heavy and work very well for all types of finning techniques.

If diving open circuit, sort out your tank trimming, moving it up and down. Depends on the type of tank(s) you're using; single, twins, ali, steel.

With a drysuit, some, especially with boots attached, can allow air to migrate right down to your feet. Socks and rock boots prevent this.

You can get "gaiters" which wrap around your calves and stop the air migration. They're velcro fastened.

I've got Hollis F1 and Apeks RK3hd fins in XXL and Super respectively. Like for like the F1 is definitely more negatively buoyant.

As a cheaper option, maybe consider a slightly thinner sock. I've got FE Artics and Xerotherm and the Artics are significantly more floaty. Even though thinner, I've very rarely found the Xerotherms wanting in the warmth department.

New to dry suit diving, Loving my santi emotions plus suit, but without ankle weights my feet float up...would like to get rid of ankle weights in favour of a heavier fin. It seems Hollis F1, Apeks RK3HD, have decent reviews...
curious to know what this group uses. Currently using HOG tech 2 with 2lbs ankle staps on each foot.
Thanks.
Switching from neutral fins to Jets was an epiphany for me.

Dive with the valve open.

Only add enough gas to take off the squeeze and loft the undergarments.

Add gas incrementally as you descend, every time you equalize your ears is a good time to add.

Manage the gas on ascent, extend your legs slightly down and work the gas up towards your body then tilt a little so your left shoulder is slightly elevated and press your right arm against your side/chest, you can look at the valve or listen to confirm you are venting.

Less gas is easier to deal with then a lot of gas.

Like others said, I found it easier to dive with the valve fully open.

May I ask, What were the pointers
What worked for me instantly in a rec dive was; no ankle weights, keep the valve partly open, proper weighting and use the drysuit for buoyancy not the wing. I used to run the drysuit with as little air as possible like everyone said and I ALWAYS had floaty feet. As soon as I only used the drysuit for buoyancy, no more floaty feet. It has been over eight years of no floaty feet and I only use the wing on the surface or on a dive if I feel like I need more lift. Lots of people on this forum say to use your drysuit for reserve buoyancy incase your wing falls. But in an emergency is a bad time to learn how to use a drysuit for buoyancy.

Add gas incrementally as you descend, every time you equalize your ears is a good time to add.

I am a hands free equalizer so I can equalizing continuously on the way down. So that wouldn't work for me.

I just puff my drysuit inflator and my wing inflator on the way down. A little puff on one, a little puff on another and pass.

What worked for me instantly in a rec dive was; no ankle weights, keep the valve partly open, proper weighting and use the drysuit for buoyancy not the wing. I used to run the drysuit with as little air as possible like everyone said and I ALWAYS had floaty feet. As soon as I only used the drysuit for buoyancy, no more floaty feet. It has been over eight years of no floaty feet and I only use the wing on the surface or on a dive if I feel like I need more lift. Lots of people on this forum say to use your drysuit for reserve buoyancy incase your wing falls. But in an emergency is a bad time to learn how to use a drysuit for buoyancy.
I have an undersuit made of a material that can be totally compressed. With that particular undersuit, it can happen that the top part of my drysuit is totally shrivelled but I still have air in my legs.

When this happens air will not migrate easily to the valve.

To prevent this, I always keep a bit of air in my suit. Could it be that you have the same issue?

Outside of a technical diving arena where diver are negative by default, I've never understood the wing vs. drysuit argument. If you are diving a balanced rig, the gas in the suit to keep off the squeeze IS the buoyancy needed. A dry suit diver should only need the wing if they are over weighted to begin with.

I have an undersuit made of a material that can be totally compressed. With that particular undersuit, it can happen that the top part of my drysuit is totally shrivelled but I still have air in my legs.

When this happens air will not migrate easily to the valve.

To prevent this, I always keep a bit of air in my suit. Could it be that you have the same issue?
I don't have an issue. Read my post.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom