Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have an issue. Read my post.
I meant to say: maybe that’s why you had issues when running with as little air as possible …

Good you found something that works for you.

A dry suit diver should only need the wing if they are over weighted to begin with.
Everyone is negative at the beginning of the dive when properly weighted - i.e., neutral at reserve pressure, empty wing, and without uncomfortable squeeze. Add air to the wing or suit as you prefer, but it's gotta go somewhere to offset the weight of the air in the tank.

(Some might do it with their lungs for a single tank, but I consider the wing or suit to be more comfortable.)

+1 on the Gaiters. Yes, they are a crutch but also helps if you have a Dry Suit thats just a bit larger than it should be. Also not all Jet fins are negative. OMS are almost neutral so don't get them if you are already floaty (I use these when diving wet). ScubaPro's Jets are VERY heavy, might be worth a try. With a combination of Gaiters, ScubaPro jet's and less air in my DS I have solved my floaty feet problem.

Outside of a technical diving arena where diver are negative by default, I've never understood the wing vs. drysuit argument. If you are diving a balanced rig, the gas in the suit to keep off the squeeze IS the buoyancy needed. A dry suit diver should only need the wing if they are over weighted to begin with.
The weight of the gas in the tank still needs compensated for.

The weight of the gas in the tank still needs compensated for.
And any other kit that may come off you during a dive such as reels, SMBs (especially crack bottle bags), stage cylinders, etc.

And any other kit that may come off you during a dive such as reels, SMBs (especially crack bottle bags), stage cylinders, etc.

I generally do my weight check slick, just tanks and basic equipment. That means I will be a little negative at the start of the dive, but it isn't drastic.

When I started diving dry years ago, I always felt like my feet were floating and my fins were about to pop off. I eventually figured out that it was just a matter of perception because drysuit boots don't squeeze your feet like wetsuit boots. I put a velcro strap from the local hardware store around each dry boot (mid-foot) and it eliminated the light foot sensation.

When I started diving dry years ago, I always felt like my feet were floating and my fins were about to pop off. I eventually figured out that it was just a matter of perception because drysuit boots don't squeeze your feet like wetsuit boots. I put a velcro strap from the local hardware store around each dry boot (mid-foot) and it eliminated the light foot sensation.
Or gaiters if the suit's really big

I like Turtle fins, as they are nice and negative, and stiff enough for back-finning. Adjusting the wing mounting position towards the head may also help offset floaty feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom